Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

HVAC Blower Motor with a mind of its own!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default HVAC Blower Motor with a mind of its own!

Hello all!

Well as the title states, I am having issues with the HVAC blower motor (or so I think) in the truck. It goes like this:

First I need to mention that my truck has the climate control option with separate temperature setting for driver/passenger side. I rarely use this option unless my wife is in the truck and she's somehow cold while it's 108 degrees outside (I'm in Vegas).

That being said, I keep the fan motor set to full speed and the display reads 60 degrees. I do not use the auto climate setting, it's full on lowest temp setting and highest blower setting.

While I'm driving, the fan motor will randomly either stop completely, or slow down to the lowest setting to where any air can hardly be felt. Then in a matter of minutes, after the heat has soaked through the black cab of my truck, and the icicles have turned to puddles, it starts blowing again! to everyone's relief.

Took it into the dealer this morning, (extended warranty FTW!) to see about getting it looked at and at first the tech was confident that it was the blower motor. After 2 hours of twiddling my thumbs and eyeballing the $68K Raptor, they concluded that it is not the blower motor, resistor, or dash control face and to trace the problem would require I leave the vehicle for an extended period of time. I opted to reschedule because it turns out I need my truck for work today and didn't want to load any lumber in the nice new focus they offered me.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Any ideas? Any helps or comments greatly appreciated!

Brandon

TL;DR The HVAC fan motor in my truck randomly slows down or shuts off/restarts while in Manual control mode (not auto climate control).
Old 08-14-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get this figured out ? I have the same kinda problem mine just cuts in and out, I don't have the climate control settings
Old 08-14-2017, 11:01 PM

Not as of tonight, but I'm scheduling to drop it off at the dealer sometime this week for a host of other problems happening with this truck, from minor to major. I will definitely keep you updated!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:08 PM

What year is your truck ? 5.4l?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:11 PM

2011 FX4 5.0 Crew cab, just hit 95k mi.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 PM

Ok mines a 2010 super crew 5.4l, I'm thinking it's sometime to do with the wiring cause if I tap around the blower motor it goes on and off, so I'm gunna buy a new blower motor tomorrow, and check the wiring harness going to it to see if it's worn or corroated and see if that does anything
Old 08-14-2017, 11:20 PM

Keep me updated! If it weren't for the fact that I have 24k left on my extended warranty, I'd be tearing into it myself.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 PM

For sure, let you know tomorrow what I find out
Old 08-15-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Fixed it

so I took out the old blower motor and tested it when it wasn't underneath the dash and it was working fine, so I figured nothing was wrong but it back in and went for a ride back off my driveway it quit once again, so took the old out and put the new one in and everything works perfect! So if ever experiencing your fan pulsing or cutting in and out it probably is the blower motor itself
Old 08-15-2017, 09:51 PM

Awesome! Glad you got it fixed! I dropped mine off at the dealer an hour ago. Going to be there a while since it went in with more than 1 issue. I'll let you know what's going on as soon as I hear.