Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

HELP! Non-start with very wierd things happeneing

Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Non-start with very wierd things happeneing

Yesterday i shut my truck off for about 3 minutes to run inside my office and grab something, and when i come back to the truck it's gone ape.

It's a 2004 F-150 SXT Automatic with 63k Miles. 4.6L Bare-bones... no CC, Power-Nothing.

I try to start the truck and the only light that comes on is the yellow airbag light, albeit very dim. Sometimes the mileage blinks. There is a ticking noise from the fusebox, and i can feel the relay 3 and 5 clicking away (the top and bottom relays closest to the passenger door). I can see the tach kind of jump/vibrating a little. The red light on the dash blinks.

This happens when the doors are open or when i try to turn the key.

This all happened with no warning. There is no check engine light, in fact, there are no lights on the dash at all when the key is in or turned to run.

The shift lever is stuck in park. I can't shift to any other gear, even pressing the brake pedal.

I tried unhooking the battery to try to reset the computer. No luck. All terminals were very tight, no corrosion.

Nothing changed when i had the car hooked to a jumper(thinking a bad battery). (positive to positive terminals, Negative to Frame)

Please Help!

-
Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Possible bad ground. Clean the battery terminals very good (both) and try it again.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Decendant of Jed Clampett

I agree with Sean. They were notorious for bad connections at the battery cable ends / terminal.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have to love batteries, been saying it for years, most unreliable thing ever used on cars, trucks and even aircraft. Work fine this minute and take a dump the next.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM

Well, i was skeptical, but you all were right. I replaced the battery and all is fine.

Thanks guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Non-start with very wierd things happeneing