Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help with axle swap, how to lift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with axle swap, how to lift?

I'm going to replace the rear axle in my 94 f150 4x4. The diff in the current axle is screwed up pretty badly..... So I'm going to replace the rear axle entirely. My issue is this, I don't have a jack or a garage lift to pick up the rear end. I have a few jack Stands, and a small jack. I'm looking for some method to lift it, since I have to unload the leaf springs, I have to pick it up by the frame, my truck has a 3 inch suspension lift, so my jack won't go high enough, any ideas? I know I should just go to a garage, but that's not an option for me! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Cinder blocks. Since your jack stands won't be high enough. Raise from under the rear and stack blocks under the frame, take off the tire and set the frame on the blocks.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 PM

I was thinking that, I just wasn't sure if they would crush or not... But if it works ill do it! Thanks!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM
We'd do it

They will crush if you don't stack them right. Stack them open cell up, like a house.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 PM

food for thought, after you remove tires, you can lower vehicle maybe to a lower safer working height? then maybe use jackstands?

also if you have any extra car tires with wheels you can use under frame, & can be safer than cinder blocks. a stack of 2 to 3per side I consider safer than cinder blocks.

whatever you do, make sure it is safe, & has something as a precaution as a safety, a friends son was killed when he was under a car a few years ago, just a jack, without any safety.

Randy
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 PM
We'd do it

He can't lower the vehicle that low, the axle will be sitting on the ground. He's got a lift and he's trying to get the axle out. Good grief don't use tires, you're asking to get squished. Not enough contact surface on the rim edges to plant firmly or even stack well. I swapped the frame on my Pontiac by stacking blocks and sitting the body on those while I rolled out the frame.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM

Ok here is what I did, I ended up borrowing some larger jack stands and I was able to chock the front wheels, remove the rear wheels and tires, then I put jack stands just in front of the axle on the leaf springs, the axle is in, and now I just have to fix a brake line that I stripped the threads out of, the block that bolts to the axle, it's got one rubber line into it, the two steel lines to each wheel, thanks guys! I've never swapped an axle so this went pretty well! Thanks a lot for the suggestions yall!
Attached Thumbnails Help with  axle swap, how to lift?-image-934378253.jpg  

Quick Reply: Help with axle swap, how to lift?