Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help! With 2017 5.0 Throttle Body/wrench light in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! With 2017 5.0 Throttle Body/wrench light in Costa Rica

Hi Everyone,

I've seen numerous throttle body threads on this form so I'll try to keep this one specific to the issues I'm encountering dealing with this problem in Costa Rica. On November 20 (yes almost two months ago) the dreaded wrench light came one, the engine started firing irregularly and would occasionally shut off or give a burst of power at lower speeds. We made it home but barely. The next day ford sent two technicians to our house who plugged in a scanner which indicated that the throttle body was burnt out. Most of the threads in this forum indicate that the throttle body is not at fault but rather that it is a wiring issue. The technicians tested conductivity between pedal -> PCM and PCM -> Throttle body but found no issues.

Ford gave us a loaner (VW Amarok, Ford and VW are sold together here) and ordered a new throttle body. It took about a month (till the 18th of Dec) for the part to clear customs and get installed. The technicians left with the loaner. Later that day the wrench light came on again while I was driving on a bumpy gravel road. The engine was also firing irregularly. Ford brought the loaner back and took the F150 to their dealership almost 2hrs away to do 'detailed tests.' In the end they concluded that Ford had sent a defective throttle body and have since ordered a new one.

I think it is highly unlikely that ford would send a defective part, QC anyone? and that the dealership is simply unable to correctly diagnose the issue and are therefore plugging the computer in and just doing whatever it says. My suspicion is that some wiring issue is shorting out the throttle body. This diagnostic tip seems similar to the issue we are experiencing however I'm not sure if it explains the burnt out throttle bodies. Does anyone have access to the workshop manual to give me more details? Pictures would be helpful as I have to translate into Spanish. Other than that I would welcome any suggestions and advice. Both of the technicians working on the ford have never encountered this or a similar issue before.

My final question is what if any power do I have as the consumer. It's been almost two months without use of our vehicle. Should I take this up with Ford in the US? Anyone experience similar issues with a foreign dealership?

Thank You!
Old 01-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,139 Likes on 2,839 Posts

i would not be at all surprised if you got a dud, I have seen it here more than once that there is bad one right out of the box
Old 01-10-2019, 03:49 PM

ok, it's nice to know that that might really be the issue. I'll suspend my disbelief
Old 01-10-2019, 04:10 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Just because it's new don't mean it's good. It's happened to me many times over the years with brand new parts.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:05 PM

Just wanted to update that they are now replacing the PCM and pedal. I asked and it seems like they have no idea what's actually broke and are just replacing everything in the system to be safe.

Quick Reply: Help! With 2017 5.0 Throttle Body/wrench light in Costa Rica