Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

HELP! 2010 F-150 Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 2010 F-150 Oil Pressure?

Hey all,

I had my truck sitting for about 2 1/2 weeks while on leave. Came back, it starts up but eventually I will smell gas in the cab. Then the truck wont let me accelerate even out of the drive way...it will shake...then the engine will kick off. Then comes the flashing oil light. I am trying to stay away from going to a dealership for the tow. Is there anything I can check at home if its something that is plugged up? I have checked the oil its level and good. Thats about it though.

--At one point I let it sit idle and run but its shaking every few seconds in idle and still wont let me rev it up in the driveway at all and the lights will dim and go back to being ok.
--Also when i engage the key into the ignition and turn it to ON it will making a hard air sound from the rear passenger side where the exhaust is.. fuel pump engaging?

So figured not wise to even attempt to drive it and have it die in the middle of the neighborhood. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:42 AM

Is their any gas under vehicle? Sounds like you may have a leak in gas line. If filter was plugged I would think you would smell gas. My opinion.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 AM

Yes I noticed there is gas build up underneath the driver side door now.. Sounds like a tow is needed
Old 12-29-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Is your truck running an EcoBoost motor? There is a factory failure between the oil pump and fuel pump that fills the engine with gas where only oil is supposed to be.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try to see where the gas is coming from. It sounds like it's coming from the fuel filter. No reason to pay for a tow and labor if that's all it needs.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:44 PM

The leak is coming directly from underneath the cab where there is a fuel line it looks like. Every time I put the ignition to the ON position gas is spraying out of it onto the ground. Any advice?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:14 PM

Do you see something that looks like this where the leak is coming from? That's the fuel filter. Can you take a picture of the leak?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:22 PM

BTW...don't worry about your oil pressure light. It sounds like it's working as it should. The computer is expecting the engine to still be running when it dies because it's starved for fuel and it sees that the oil pressure is gone because the engine isn't running the oil pump anymore.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 PM

It's at the Ford Dealership as of right now... they looked at it, maybe took 15 minutes to diagnose and said is gas line break, a clean break. Asked if a rodent could have chewed on the line. Said no, clean break. I did notice where the gas was coming from before I took it in. It was directly in the center of the cab underneath, a small tube maybe 1/2 inch in diameter that was in the shape of an L...gas line apparently? I had an Acura TL before my F-150, and only have had the thing for maybe 2 1/2 months, so I am clueless guys on F-150 parts, and just in general not too savvy with this stuff.

Josh I dont think it was the photo you showed...but once again. I am a rookie.

They quoted me at 680+. 400 for labor (4hrs) and 250 for the part plus tax. Worth it?

A local place said it could just need a patch, and quoted me way lower at a max of labor at 250 (Worst case) and the cost of the part. Or if it needed a patch a fraction of the quote, said he would need to see it himself to make the call...but kind of laughed when i told him Ford looked at it for 15 min and didnt look too deep into it.

What to do?
Old 12-30-2014, 06:06 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Over 1,300 to fix a gas line leak. I know things are high, but after a while you get tired of bending over and grabbing your ankles.

Last edited by JCR 56; 12-30-2014 at 06:12 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP! 2010 F-150 Oil Pressure?