Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help with 07' 5.4 3 valve misfire please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 07' 5.4 3 valve misfire please!

Good morning everyone!

So I have had an issue with my truck that is driving me up the wall.

I started getting a misfire at idle and it slowly got worse over time. To this day under load it runs great however. I eventually got a P0302 misfire code but then it mysteriously disappeared and hasn't returned, but the bad idle stayed.

112,000 Miles

Plugs done at dealer around 106k

I did these within the past week
-Fuel filter
-Ran Injector Cleaner
-Cleaned MAF
-Air Filter
-Cleaned Throttle Body (I saw some oil inside the intake manifold)
-Replaced Coil #2 with a new one and no change

Anyone else resolved this issue? I am at a loss and don't want to get bent over by a dealer.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Loose plug maybe? They are predisposed to backing out when new. Once they get carboned up, they stay put.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:04 AM

I checked the plugs, they are secure. Could a VCT cause a rough enough idle that it just so happen to misfire on #2 and it picked it up then made it go away?
Old 12-05-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stored misfire codes on these can be hit or miss (no pun intended). Double check the coil electrical connection on #2. Im sure you know but it is the 2nd one from the front on the passenger side. Mode 06 test $53 is a much better way of telling you what cylinders are misfiring without setting a code. If you dont have a scanner that can read mode 06 and you want to save a little money, try calling repair shops and ask what they charge to read how many misfires were logged during a drive cycle if you pull in. Specify that is all you want, not an actual diagnosis. Then report back. By the way mode 06 test 53 is done through the generic obd protocal and not the manufacturer one so I would think even the smallest shops will have access to it. Unfortunately not all techs are aware of how to use it.
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by autolabs
Stored misfire codes on these can be hit or miss (no pun intended). Double check the coil electrical connection on #2. Im sure you know but it is the 2nd one from the front on the passenger side. Mode 06 test $53 is a much better way of telling you what cylinders are misfiring without setting a code. If you dont have a scanner that can read mode 06 and you want to save a little money, try calling repair shops and ask what they charge to read how many misfires were logged during a drive cycle if you pull in. Specify that is all you want, not an actual diagnosis. Then report back. By the way mode 06 test 53 is done through the generic obd protocal and not the manufacturer one so I would think even the smallest shops will have access to it. Unfortunately not all techs are aware of how to use it.
Thank you for your thorough reply. I gave in and took it to the dealer that installed the plugs for me. They had installed a faulty plug on cylinder #2 (And actually admitted to their mistake) They replaced the plug and the truck now runs great. Needless to say I'll be buying my next work truck from them haha. Thanks again, forums need more people like you.

-Chris
Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

How would anybody know a new plug was faulty when they installed it...
Old 12-07-2015, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
How would anybody know a new plug was faulty when they installed it...
Real simple... Dumb *** tech dropped it and put it in anyway
Old 12-08-2015, 05:52 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Twgriffy
Real simple... Dumb *** tech dropped it and put it in anyway
Lol...

Quick Reply: Help with 07' 5.4 3 valve misfire please!