Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core

Hey guys and gals,

Been a while since I posted anything. I parked my truck Thursday after running out to get something to eat. Didn't start it back up until last night to take my daughter to my mom's. It was about 16 degrees outside, so naturally I went and started it up to run a bit before we left. Got in the truck and drove to my moms, and the air was blowing cooler air. Drove 10 minutes, and dropped her off and went to get gas. checked coolant and it was a little low so i topped it off. slightly warmer on the way home. Same this morning, drove 30 minutes to work. Got gas after work, and checked, topped off a little more coolant. one line in the heater core was at a good operating temp when i grabbed it. the other hose was very cool. So I'm assuming i have a clog in my radiator. I plan on flushing it out this weekend, changing out the thermostat. What do you people think is the best method. I was planning on using just water, both directions. watched a few videos, and one guy used CLR and let it sit in the heater core for a bit before flushing all that out. kinda weary about that. Thoughts? Ideas?

07 f150 4x4 4.6L
Old 01-22-2019, 04:59 AM

Received 492 Likes on 426 Posts

Did this happen all of a sudden? I would expect the degradation in heat to be very gradual. After verifying proper engine temp. Make sure there isn't a heat control valve in the system. I would flush the system first with a cleaner designed for that purpose. I would then disconnect both heater hoses and reverse flush the core by itself.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

there could be a clog in the hose you grabbed that was cool
Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Supply line in hot... return line out cold. clogged heater core or blend door malfunction.. Has nothing to do with the radiator.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 492 Likes on 426 Posts

The blend doors will have little affect on the outlet hose temperature, won't cause outlet hose to be cold because they have nothing to do with coolant flow through the core. Got to be clogged heater core.

Last edited by raski; 01-23-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Chief Engineer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Definitely sounds like an obstruction in the heater circuit. Possible some ice formed in the core and /or the return hose? The fact the inlet hose is warm indicates there is a minimum flow thru the heater. Maybe running the heat longer might clear it out?

Quick Reply: Heater Core