Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

General Electric Module (GEM)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Electric Module (GEM)

2002 F150 FX4 Lariat. 122K miles. Purchase 6 months ago from a Ford Dealership "as is." Clean bill with private mechanic car inspection. Began to experience intermittent dead battery after 3-4 months. Battery checked out, cables, alternator, etc. Then, got in truck, started, put in gear and truck behaved as though I was in 4Low except 4x4 not engaged. High RPM, 10-15 mph max, tach reading appeared accurate, but speedometer was reading 70+mph although was only going about 10. Limped it home. Next day, dead battery again, jumped it and it drove fine. Took it my mechanic (good mechanic, all Ford guys for the last 40 years), they put in new battery and checked for amp draws. Found the General Electric Module (GEM) had a significant amp draw. Ordered part but Ford doesn't make it anymore, vendor makes but it is on nationwide backorder because the vendor can't get the components to make the GEM, no release date. No aftermarket options according to mechanic, used GEM not recommended according to mechanic.

Now, I have a nice truck that doesn't run, can't get the part, no end in sight. Is this common? Is something anyone has heard about? Does anyone have recommendations on next steps? Is it actually true that I have a 2002 vehicle (common vehicle) that is rendered useless?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,134 Likes on 2,835 Posts

Autoecms.com and yes it may be a common vehicle but it is 17 years old. Ford starts to phase stuff out at the 7-10 year mark, especially electrical parts
Old 01-16-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Generic Electronic Module is what it's called for your future reference. Try www.lkq.com to see if they might have a used one that you can program with your trucks asbuilt data using Forscan.

Quick Reply: General Electric Module (GEM)