Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Front end ticking after lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Front end ticking after lift

Well, nobody was able to help, but I finally did discover the culprit and wanted to share in case anybody else ever has the same issue.

About 1 month after I installed my 4" BDS lift I started to hear a ticking from my passenger front tire. It sounded similar to a playing card in bicycle spokes. I completely removed everything to find the culprit. I removed the wheel, brake rotor, steering knuckle, axle, etc. Nothing was wrong and everything was torqued correctly again and again.

The tick remained. Then, it started in the driver side. I posted on here and nobody had an idea on it, that I hadn't already tried.

I searched and searched frantically to try and find a solution and nobody could figure it out. I even had a buddy who races cars and builds them from the ground up. Nothing, nada, no way, not a clue anywhere.

Finally, I found a Subaru site and somebody said something in a half a sentence that might set me free.

I proceeded to take my front wheels off again (for about the 5th time), removed my axle caps and put a drop of RTV in 3-4 places around the lip of each of them and reinserted. I went to be hopeful that in the morning they would be good.

Well, now 1 week later and I have been on-road, off-road, and lot's of other road and not a peep from either tire. I have driven slow and fast along side of privacy fences and buildings and there is not a hint of tick any more.

So, for those of you backyard mechanics that choose to put your own lifts on. Take this lesson and know that you can install that lift every bit as good as a shop for hundreds of $$ cheaper. Heck, I even had a mechanic that was stumped by this one.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Thanks for the update. This has been an issue for many. RTV is a backyard mechanics friend for years. Even "slip in from the back" caps and click and pop. Great fix.

Quick Reply: Front end ticking after lift