Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

First Time Changing Oil (on this truck)

Old 07-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First Time Changing Oil (on this truck)

Hey everyone,
I think i already know the answer to all of these questions but i just wanted to make sure i cross my T's and dot my I's.

I have a 2018 F-150 and up till now my oil changes were all covered under my dealer's new car warranty (except for the last one, they tricked me on that during a general maintenance and i had to pay for it! ). This will be the first time i change my oil on this truck. I have changed oil 100's of times on my previous 2007 Tacoma as well as other people's vehicles. So i'm very familiar with the process.

I wanted to just make sure there weren't any tricks to doing it on my Ford so i checked the owners manual and i could not for the life of me find a section dedicated to changing the oil on this truck. I'm guessing they are trying to get novices to not try to do it and/or they want to make money doing it for you. Or maybe i missed the chapter in the book multiple times?

So, just making sure....
- I dont know if they are currently using Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic but i'm planning to use Full Synth. and keep using that for the life of the truck (5w-30 living in central florida)
- I haven't crawled under the truck yet but i'm guessing the drain plug is in the usual spot
- Oil Filter is pretty easily accessible in the front
- I bought 5 Quarts but i think i read that the truck takes 6? 2018 5.0L V8 (my tacoma took 4.5q)
- This wont void my warranty if i do it myself will it?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

your truck takes 8.8 qts of 5w20, and as long as you keep detailed records you will be fine with the warranty. be prepared to make a mess, plastic oil pan and quarter turn drain plug. it drains FAST and usually will hit the sway bar and go all over the place.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
your truck takes 8.8 qts of 5w20, and as long as you keep detailed records you will be fine with the warranty. be prepared to make a mess, plastic oil pan and quarter turn drain plug. it drains FAST and usually will hit the sway bar and go all over the place.
Oh fun! LOL! Thanks for the quick reply
Old 07-19-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
New to Ford and F150's. Curious if I can drain the oil using something like Mity vac? It sounds like "not making a mess" by draining at the drain plug is not an option? Thanks
Old 07-19-2019, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by white_335i
New to Ford and F150's. Curious if I can drain the oil using something like Mity vac? It sounds like "not making a mess" by draining at the drain plug is not an option? Thanks
no you won't be able to
Old 07-19-2019, 03:29 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

One way to not make such a mess is to run a shop vac at the oil fill hole then remove the plug and arrange funnels and catch basin. The shop vac will suspend the oil until you're ready for it to drain out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Time Changing Oil (on this truck)