Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Finally Fixed Intermittent Humming Noise from 2015 F150 Front End

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally Fixed Intermittent Humming Noise from 2015 F150 Front End

2015 F150 SCrew

Posting this in case someone else has this issue.

Past 5 months had a faint intermittent humming/grinding noise from the LF of the truck. Tiny bit of vibration in the steering wheel. Almost sounded like a tire was out of alignment, wheel noise or a bearing. Wouldn't happen all the time, but more often when the weight was on that corner of the truck (going around corners, slowing down etc). Happening in both 2x4 and 4x4. Could only hear it at speeds under 50 kph. If the sound was occurring and I drove over a bump, the noise would stop for a second then start again.

Took it into the dealer for service and they couldn't find the issue. Rotated the tires.

Brought it back again a month later and me and the mechanic took it for a test drive but we couldn't get the noise to occur. Funny how that works...

Took it back yesterday at the breaking point of insanity. Another test drive and finally got the mechanic to hear the noise.

Just got it back today and it ended up being the IWE Four Wheel Drive Actuator. The mechanic applied vacuum to LF IWE and it made noise when disengaging. Inspected and there was internal damage to the IWE and was flopping around inside housing.

Dealer said the other side may fail. Might be a defect in the 2015's?

Hope this helps anyone who has similar issues with their Ford.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by EastCoaster
2015 F150 SCrew

Posting this in case someone else has this issue.

Past 5 months had a faint intermittent humming/grinding noise from the LF of the truck. Tiny bit of vibration in the steering wheel. Almost sounded like a tire was out of alignment, wheel noise or a bearing. Wouldn't happen all the time, but more often when the weight was on that corner of the truck (going around corners, slowing down etc). Happening in both 2x4 and 4x4. Could only hear it at speeds under 50 kph. If the sound was occurring and I drove over a bump, the noise would stop for a second then start again.

Took it into the dealer for service and they couldn't find the issue. Rotated the tires.

Brought it back again a month later and me and the mechanic took it for a test drive but we couldn't get the noise to occur. Funny how that works...

Took it back yesterday at the breaking point of insanity. Another test drive and finally got the mechanic to hear the noise.

Just got it back today and it ended up being the IWE Four Wheel Drive Actuator. The mechanic applied vacuum to LF IWE and it made noise when disengaging. Inspected and there was internal damage to the IWE and was flopping around inside housing.

Dealer said the other side may fail. Might be a defect in the 2015's?

Hope this helps anyone who has similar issues with their Ford.
I am having the same issue with my 2015 lariat with 15,000 miles when driving in 2H. Have had it to dealer but of course after a week and a half of consistently making the noise the day I take it to the dealer it stops making the noise. Two weeks later noise starts again so I rush to dealer so they can here it and half mile away from dealer noise stops.

The noise I hear is humming/grinding when under 10 mph and happens when making a stop or driving very slowly through a parking lot. It is deffinately a rotational noise as the noise changes as I am slowing down. This morning I was slowly driving through a parking lot and noise started. I switched it to 4A and a few seconds after I switched to 4A I heard a very faint clunk and noise went away.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:39 AM

Funny that you found this thread as I was just about to reply with an update. The noise is happening again in the truck now with 24000 miles. This time I bought it in to another dealer who a buddy of mine works in the service dept. Got the yearly service done on breaks etc and told him exactly what happened before and what to fix. They took for test drive and couldn't hear the noise and didn't discover anything on inspection. Humming/grinding didn't happen again until the next day after I got the truck home.

When it happened in 2016 the only way I could get the mechanic to hear the noise is if I drove on the test drive so I'm taking it back next week and doing that.

What I suspect is that a piece of the actuator again is loose/broken and can only become dislodged and starts grinding on something when the wheel is spinning slowly. If you drive fast enough the centrifugal force pushes out the broken piece away from whatever it was rubbing against and the sound goes away.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 AM

Funny that you found this thread as I was just about to reply with an update. The noise is happening again in the truck now with 24000 miles. This time I bought it in to another dealer who a buddy of mine works in the service dept. Got the yearly service done on breaks etc and told him exactly what happened before and what to fix. They took for test drive and couldn't hear the noise and didn't discover anything on inspection. Humming/grinding didn't happen again until the next day after I got the truck home.

When it happened in 2016 the only way I could get the mechanic to hear the noise is if I drove on the test drive so I'm taking it back next week and doing that.

What I suspect is that a piece of the actuator again is loose/broken and can only become dislodged and starts grinding on something when the wheel is spinning slowly. If you drive fast enough the centrifugal force pushes out the broken piece away from whatever it was rubbing against and the sound goes away.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Drove straight to the dealer after work yesterday witch is 5 minutes away. Noise happened twice on the way there. Soon as the mechanic got it the truck we drove it for 10 minutes and couldn't get it to make noise. When I got home I pulled the check valve off that is next to the solenoid and was able to blow through both sides. One side moves more air than the other way but it is definitely not right. Ordered a new check valve from Amazon so we will see. With how intermittent the issue is it makes sense that it could be the check valve.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:12 AM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by bhuisinga

Drove straight to the dealer after work yesterday witch is 5 minutes away. Noise happened twice on the way there. Soon as the mechanic got it the truck we drove it for 10 minutes and couldn't get it to make noise. When I got home I pulled the check valve off that is next to the solenoid and was able to blow through both sides. One side moves more air than the other way but it is definitely not right. Ordered a new check valve from Amazon so we will see. With how intermittent the issue is it makes sense that it could be the check valve.
The check valve has resolved it for a lot members here. Not 100% but, enough that after checking for leaks on the lines, that would be the first thing I’d change.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 AM

Interesting...found this thread that talks about it: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2010-o...309249/index2/

Can you post link to the check valve on Amazon?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:34 AM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Interesting...found this thread that talks about it: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2010-o...309249/index2/

Yes there are a lot of post on this for most years on here if you look. This post has a link for 2017 in it. I think around page 4 or so. The link says it doesn’t fit but it does. I suspect it is because one side is a little bigger than the original. He and others have gotten it on with no issue. Just don’t do it when it is cold out and things are stiff. Or heat the hose up some.

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/gen-ii-...c-pump-397377/

Old 04-20-2018, 07:37 AM

Got my info from post #3 in following link.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1534519-2015-f150-iwe-check-valves.html

Link for check valve.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C5HZ24/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

like the post in the link I posted states, Amazon says part doesn't fit but according to the forum and a couple reviews on the part on Amazon it will. I will follow up after I recursive the part and install.