Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Exhaust Manifold Glowing/ Loss of power. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exhaust Manifold Glowing/ Loss of power. Help!!

I own a 1986 F150 4spd, with an inline six.

Started losing power at around 45-65 mph a few days ago (Only started happening when it got hot outside.)

Itll get up to operating temperature, usually ill shut it off at a gas station. come back out and get on the highway, get ready to shift into 4th from third and the power cuts, no revving. Nothing, just sputters for 20 seconds until it can get power back.

Drove home from work last night, opened my hood and my exhaust manifold was glowing red from heat. Also the temp gauged spiked going into work causing coolant loss.

Is this a blocked catalytic converter? Or a carb or timing issue?

I have changed the fuel filter, the spark plugs, and the wires which fixed an engine miss. But now the power loss is the real problem here. Its stalled a fair amount of times and im done driving it until my mechanic can see it next week. Any input is appreciated please! I highly doubt it's a spark issue. But with timing i am not confident to adjust myself, or an exhaust job, because the oxygen sensor is attached to the cat, by a long black bar.... Help is gladly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold Glowing/ Loss of power. Help!!