Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Engine Failure 2013 3.5L ecoboost F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Failure 2013 3.5L ecoboost F150

Truck: 2013 F150 FX4 with 3.5L 'egoboost'
Mileage: 137,xxx

Engine knocking and failure. Has anyone else had this issue with their ecoboost?

I'm new to the forum and to Ford trucks. I bought one used, private party, with complete maintenance records and a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic. Great truck. Awesome to drive.

Then, after about 3,000 miles of driving, the engine started making a muffled knock sound. No change to performance. Over time it got louder. Youtube link:

I took it in to Ford dealer in NC. They removed the valve cover and found scoring to the internals and circulating metal in the oil. Also was a quart low. Needs a new engine. $8000.

I'm not a complainer but this is only a 4 year old engine. Miles are high but for a modern engine (and one that survived the ford 'torture' test) it should not be having serious issues. I previously had a '99 saturn with 232,000 with no engine issues except burning half a quart of oil between changes.

I did reach out to Ford customer relations but had low expectations since it's out of warranty and I'm the second owner. They offered nothing as I anticipated.

Needless to say my confidence in Ford engines is shaken, even if this was just a fluke.

Thanks for reading, hopefully no one else has this issue when they get to 'high' mileage.

Ryan
Old 10-29-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Purchasing a used vehicle is a gamble. Apparently previous owner beat the crap out of it. Sorry for your loss.
The following users liked this post:
RLXXI (10-29-2017)