Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Engine Coolant Overtemperature-New 2016 F150 Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Engine Coolant Overtemperature-New 2016 F150 Won't start

Hi,
We have a 2016 F150, 3 months old, with 6100 Kms on it. Engine is 2.7 EcoBoost, V6. Yesterday morning the truck would not start. The message displayed was "Engine Coolant Overtemperature". This was first thing in the morning in a temperature below freezing and the truck had been parked all night. The temperature indicator on the coolant icon is to the far left - ie. coldest. The coolant is at the proper level, neither low nor high. It's the coolant that existed in the truck when we bought it. We plugged in the block heater for an hour. After that I was able to start the truck 3 times and each time the "Overtemperature" message displayed. In between those 3 times it started, there were many attempts where it did not start. It cranks but doesn't turn over. We have an appointment with the dealer Tuesday and will probably have to get Ford Roadside Assistance to tow it to the dealer. It is very disheartening to have an almost new vehicle that doesn't start.

How can the system think the coolant is "overtemperature" on a truck that hasn't been driven for 12 hours in weather that is below freezing? We are in the Toronto Canada area,and there a lots of 150's driving around here. There is nothing that would make it overtemperature in those circumstances.

I should mention that we tried starting the truck again today and all attempts have failed so far. The "overtemperature" message persists.

Last edited by LynnInOntario; 12-22-2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added last sentence
Old 12-22-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like a sensor. Back to the dealer for the part replacement. Call ahead and see if the tow will be covered by the warranty.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:03 AM

Thanks. The dealer already said Ford Roadside Assistance will cover the tow. No time is convenient to be without your truck, but over the Holidays it's even moreso. Bummer.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:11 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

"It is very disheartening to have an almost new vehicle that doesn't start."

It's very disheartening that everything manufactured is not perfect also.
Just part of the manufacturing process. There will be some items that fail.
Ford will fix your truck so you can enjoy again.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:18 AM

This morning we plugged in the block heater for about an hour, although it's not particularly cold out today. Truck started but it's revving super high. Not sure what the block heater has to do with it starting under today's mild conditions anyway. The "Engine Coolant Overtemperature" message still displays. Sounds like someone has the accelerator to the floor, which it isn't. So it would not be good to drive it in such condition. Calling for a tow soon.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the same/similar problem. This is the only site I found with a similar issue so I just registered.

I woke up Saturday morning and my 2015 2.7 won't start. "Engine Coolant Overtemperature" displays. It was in the 30s overnight and the truck hadn't run in over 12 hours.

Ford roadside towed it to the nearest dealership that evening. They looked at it yesterday and didn't have an answer. They said they were emailing engineers back east. Meanwhile, I may be stranded here in California visiting family. I'm supposed to be back to work in Arizona tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:45 AM

This morning the dealership advised the problem is a faulty coolant sensor and wiring. Says it will be about a week to fix. Holy Cow! A week! Ford will be providing a rental in the interim. Back a couple of years go when my 2013 Escape was in for a recall that took a few days, Ford provided a rental then as well. I must say I was impressed with Ford's service.

The message that displayed on my husband's truck was identical to the one in the pic posted by sans_ballyhoo above.

Last edited by LynnInOntario; 12-27-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got word back from the dealership. Outcome, rodents nesting in the engine bay. I thought it was BS till I told the family, that I was visiting, and they proceeded to show me the damage a pack rat did to one of their trucks in the past month. Three nights was enough time for a rat to burrow under the intake manifold and nibble the wiring harness. Icing on the cake, not covered by warranty.
​​​
Old 01-10-2017, 01:32 PM

Sorry I have no good news update yet. As posted earlier, our 2016 F150 was towed to the dealership on Dec 23, 2016. Here we are going on 3 weeks, and it is still not fixed. The dealer in Oshawa, Ontario is waiting for the part (coolant sensor) and all they know is that it is somewhere in North America but they have no idea where, or when they will get the part in. My husband is still driving the rental pickup provided through Ford. However, such a long delay for a part is troubling and giving us bad vibes about this truck.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:14 PM

January 26, 2017 - It will be 5 weeks tomorrow since our truck was towed to the Oshawa, Ontario Ford Dealer. Still they are saying the coolant sensor is "somewhere in North America" and should be here soon. The dealer is not returning enquiry calls and we have been very patient on this making only a few enquiries for a status since this happened. We are going to contact Ford directly ASAP. If a part is some where in North America, it should not take 5 weeks to receive. Things get shipped all over the world in less than half that time. This is a 2016 pickup, which has been in production for some time now, so it's not exactly like it's the first off the line of this model. They should have parts, shouldn't they?