Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Electric Parking Brake Service query

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Electric Parking Brake Service query

Searched the forums, no luck - My 2016 XLT has electric parking brakes, which I like in general. On other trucks that I have owned, I made a point of removing the calipers and cleaning and lubing the caliper to carrier points to keep them from sticking, done at the end of snow tire/ salt season when the wheels were off. (Have mounted snows on extra rims)
Is there anything that I need to know about the electric parking brake calipers before doing this on my 2016?

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:36 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Read the owner's manual, but it probably doesn't cover that level of maintenance/repair. You should really check with someone who has access to the genuine procedure for replacing pads on that truck (Ford dealership tech, independent tech with access to Mitchell or IdentiFix). SOME vehicles require very special procedures before attempting to remove the e-braking calipers because the e-brake module is always checking for wear by running the piston out when the key is OFF. If it doesn't hit the rotor, it can eject the piston & destroy the caliper. I don't know if that truck uses that system or not, but trying it blindly would be an expensive way to find out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve83:
Alan in bc (01-31-2018), chaztor (09-05-2021)
Old 02-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

OK, to reply to my own thread, with new (to me, anyway) info -

I can put the parking brake into "maintenance mode"... I tried it, it works,

Activation
  1. Set the ignition to ON.
  2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal and place the EPB switch to the RELEASE (downward) position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and EPB.
  3. Set the ignition to OFF, then set the ignition to ON within 5 seconds. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
  4. The EPB system will be deactivated, preventing parking brake application until service has been completed and maintenance mode has been deactivated. The yellow electronic parking brake indicator will be illuminated and maintenance mode will display on the message center.
  5. Set the ignition to OFF, then release the accelerator pedal and EPB switch.
When replacing rear brake pads in maintenance mode, the brake caliper piston must be compressed into the caliper housing. The brake caliper piston does not have to be rotated while compressing the piston.

Deactivation
Carry out the following service mode deactivation procedure to activate the EPB system.
  1. Set the ignition to ON.
  2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal and place the EPB switch in the APPLY (upward) position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
  3. Set the ignition to OFF, then set the ignition to ON within 5 seconds. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
  4. Release the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
The EPB system will fully apply and release the parking brake to guarantee sufficient air gap between the rear brake pads and brake disc.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alan in bc:
Bird48 (11-26-2022), chaztor (09-05-2021), Steve83 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Thanks for following up & posting the procedure for others in the future. Where did you find it?

That sounds pretty similar to the LR procedure, except you can hear the EPB motors drawing the pistons in when MM is triggered. You don't have to compress them. And you can hear them run the pistons back out when you take it out of MM.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of placing EPB in Maintenance Mode for about 1 week until scheduled service appointment. Is there any long term concern with leaving the EPB in Maintenance Mode to prevent the intermittent indicator light and I think the EPB is dragging at times. Thanks
Old 11-26-2022, 01:21 PM

The truck may not drive with EBP in MM, or it may set other faults & turn on more lights. If the brake system doesn't work right, the vehicle is NOT SAFE to drive on public roads, and doing so (whether in MM or not) may change your insurance coverage if you're involved in a wreck (your fault or not). Don't risk other people's lives, yours, or potentially many thousands of $$ - rent or borrow another vehicle while the truck is being properly repaired.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I've been keeping it close to home till the appointment. Just concerned about the EPB being engaged sometimes and causing further damage.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:09 PM

Then don't drive it until it's fixed. Get it towed to the repair shop, and leave it there until it's roadworthy.
The following users liked this post:
JS2003 (11-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Electric Parking Brake Service query