Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Driver Module and Actuators

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Module and Actuators

So here's my situation, hoping to get some solid feedback/advice from you guys.

Truck stopped working couple days ago, basically wouldn't kick over, and when it did, it was like it wasn't getting any gas to it, like it was barely staying on. Once I shifted into gear, it would stalled out. Took it to Lincoln Ford, they said it's the fuel pump driver module. They quoted me $500. Got a mechanic who gave me a quote of $180, with one year warranty on labor and parts. saying hopefully that's all that it is, is the driver module. Called auto zone who said they would give me a lifetime warranty on that part. Mechanic said that because the brand they offered was duralast and they are horrible it wouldn't be worth it because it would just break and I would just end up paying for labor over and over and over. In the long run, paying more money. Mechanic found the same part for $50, said it would last for years.

1st question: Has anybody else had the same problem with the fuel pump driver module? How long do they usually last before they go out?
2nd question: I'm feeling a little sketchy because my mechanic is only offering one year warranty on part and labor meaning, if it goes bad after a year i'll end up paying not only labor, but the part too. But he guarantees the part will last for several years. Is he right? what about duralast the brand?
3rd question: I have the same issue but with my 4 wheel drive actuators and vacuum solenoid. (Basically my 4 wheel drive is not engaging). Mechanic says i need to replace them at the hub. Same scenario, offering one year warranty on parts and labor. Auto zone is offering lifetime warranty. Guys think I should just purchase my own parts? Any recommendations where to go for parts?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,834 Posts

Originally Posted by Will B.
So here's my situation, hoping to get some solid feedback/advice from you guys.

Truck stopped working couple days ago, basically wouldn't kick over, and when it did, it was like it wasn't getting any gas to it, like it was barely staying on. Once I shifted into gear, it would stalled out. Took it to Lincoln Ford, they said it's the fuel pump driver module. They quoted me $500. Got a mechanic who gave me a quote of $180, with one year warranty on labor and parts. saying hopefully that's all that it is, is the driver module. Called auto zone who said they would give me a lifetime warranty on that part. Mechanic said that because the brand they offered was duralast and they are horrible it wouldn't be worth it because it would just break and I would just end up paying for labor over and over and over. In the long run, paying more money. Mechanic found the same part for $50, said it would last for years.

1st question: Has anybody else had the same problem with the fuel pump driver module? How long do they usually last before they go out?
2nd question: I'm feeling a little sketchy because my mechanic is only offering one year warranty on part and labor meaning, if it goes bad after a year i'll end up paying not only labor, but the part too. But he guarantees the part will last for several years. Is he right? what about duralast the brand?
3rd question: I have the same issue but with my 4 wheel drive actuators and vacuum solenoid. (Basically my 4 wheel drive is not engaging). Mechanic says i need to replace them at the hub. Same scenario, offering one year warranty on parts and labor. Auto zone is offering lifetime warranty. Guys think I should just purchase my own parts? Any recommendations where to go for parts?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Spend the money and get the ford parts from a ford dealer, yes you might pay more but you are getting OE parts that will fit

2yr/unlim mileage warranty on the parts if you do them yourself. Or if you let the ford dealer do it...that warranty covers labor as well

and to answer your question about the driver...VERY common problem with that era F150

Ford's as a general rule of thumb do not like any aftermarket electrical part
Old 01-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with a quality part, but those are known for failing because of their placement. Ford has them mounted directly onto a rear cross-member and it causes the back to corrode. Not too tricky to replace once you drop the spare tire. If you do decide to do it yourself, maybe put some sort of rubber gasket in between to prevent the same issue from reoccurring.
As for your 4WD, it is possible that the IWE actuators are bad. But it's also a good idea to be sure before letting him replace them if you have any doubts. Here is an amazingly detailed post that covers everything about your 4WD system and how to troubleshoot it.
https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...m-esof-186872/
I just went through a similar problem and when I found this post I found there was actually 3 separate issues with my 4WD when I thought there was 1. Vacuum solenoid bad, vacuum leak between each side AND the transfer case motor that actually engages the 4WD was sticking. Would've been very easy for me to think it was the actuators on the hubs. Thankfully 1 cheap part, a bit of vacuum hose, a few taps of a hammer and my 4WD is working flawless.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Driver Module and Actuators