Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

dont understand this code

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dont understand this code

My check engine light has been on and I got these codes at autozone.

P1538

INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL FAULT-BANK 1

INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL FAULT-BANK 2

iVE LOOKED THIS UP ON THE FORUMS AND NO ONE SAYS WHAT THE SOLUTION IS.

WHAT SHOULD I REPLACE FIRST?

Last edited by kdrifter440; 06-16-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:25 PM

It an air port on your intake manifold. What happens is over time the ports get clogged with sludge and get stuck open. You have one of 2 options.

1. You could remove the manifold and clean the air ports themselves. (Doesn't guarantee the CEL will go off though.) The IMRC is computer controlled by your PCM and there isn't anything you can buy to reprogram the computer yourself.
2. Take the vehicle to the dealer. The dealership has the software to reprogram your PCM to open and close again. That will fix your problem and turn off the CEL.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:06 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Could be the IMRC itself.. There was a thread on it with pics of what normally breaks.. Use the search and see if you can find it.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 PM

I guess im going to just replace both IMRC does any one know how hard it is the remove the intake manifold?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the clips where the linkage from the imrc goes to the actual runners on the back of the intake, most often they break the small retaining clips that hold the rods in.

the pcm update for the imrc concern changes pcm strategy to cycle the runners open and closed on a decel to make them move a little more often and help keep them from sticking. some people that drive easy dont get them to open that often then when they do they stick. A fuel induction service will also help clean the butterflies

Quick Reply: dont understand this code