Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Is the dealership trying to shaft me? "BG Fuel System Service"

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Is the dealership trying to shaft me? "BG Fuel System Service"

Took my 2013 F150 FX4 (5.0 V8) 48k miles. Runs fine. No issues.
in for an oil change, and the dealer tells me I need a "fuel system service for $205, and they point to a generic, non-vehicle-specific, "maintenance schedule" on the desk. I declined, and asked why my F150 owner manual looks nothing like the maintenance schedule you are using to justify this advice. They just gave a "political" answer.....blah blah. No reason then.

I'm no mechanic, but I know my vehicle manual says nothing about needing a fuel system clean or other major service every 30k. it's just the basic stuff, and major stuff kicks in at 100k.

I use recommended fuel, etc. Normal/light use of truck. I think the dealer is doing the usual bull****, unnecessary sell, do you agree?

My Ford 2013 manual
The (bull****?) thing on the service desk they pointed to
Old 11-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah... No. I'd ask them to top off your halogen fluid tank and check the turn signal indicator ballast too.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol...ystem-cleaner/

That's an expensive can of bull*****. Id be grabbing my keys and leaving at that point for them trying to rip you off.

Last edited by PlasmaJab; 11-10-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

You can report this to Ford HQ. Dealers were sent a letter to stop pushing the "fake" required services.

There is a thread somewhere on here with the letter.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 11:38 AM

Man Can we get a relink to that if it comes up? Id love to have that in hand with some of the dealerships Ive seen.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all. I figured it was bull****. They won't get my business again.

Here's the full leaflet they are using to either sell one of these packaged services, or to cherry pick whatever they think a customer may believe is required maintenance for their vehicle.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:23 PM

Oh I'd bet ford would absolutely love this. Expecially the BG MOA (engine additive).. I have that stuff here.. Wheres that MSDS..

Last edited by PlasmaJab; 11-10-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Contains... Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic (Engine oil, and paraffin). Benzene (naturally found in engine oil). Zinc.

As for their BG Fuel system service: Assuming its BG Fuel System and Combustion chamber Cleaner it is:

Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light, xylene, Isopropyl alcohol, Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy 2-butoxyethanol, Stoddard solvent, ethylbenzene, morpholine -N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone -, 2,2',2''-nitrilotriethanol -1,2,4-trimethylbenzene

Which is very close to the bottle of kleenflo fuel injector cleaner here...

TLDR.. They wan to charge you a ton of money to add useless crap to your truck. I don't recall ford instructing anyone to add stuff to the vital fluids of their truck.

The following users liked this post:
Jock_FX4 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by PlasmaJab
Man Can we get a relink to that if it comes up? Id love to have that in hand with some of the dealerships Ive seen.

January 2017
To: All Ford and Lincoln Dealers, Service Managers and Parts Managers
Subject: Ford Motor Company Position on Scheduled Maintenance Business
A world-class customer service experience is fundamental to the success of Ford and Lincoln
Dealerships and Ford Motor Company. As we jointly pursue a leadership position in customer
retention, a primary goal at FCSD is to provide your team with the products and services
necessary to continuously enhance the customer service experience that you deliver.
Dealerships that consistently deliver prompt, competitive, high-value service will be one step
closer to enjoying the benefits of lifetime customers.
Top performing dealerships attain a profitable fixed operations business by offering a quality
customer service experience using Ford scheduled maintenance procedures. Ford Motor
Company does not support the sale of unnecessary services, including dealership repair services
that significantly deviate from our recommended maintenance guide, service intervals or shop
manual procedures.
MAINTENANCE INTERVALS
Promoting maintenance intervals that significantly deviate from those published in the Scheduled
Maintenance Guide are unnecessary and may damage credibility and result in lost customers.
 Ford Motor Company recommends specific maintenance intervals for various parts and
component systems based on extensive engineering and testing.
 Ford relies on this testing to determine the most appropriate mileage for replacement of oils
and fluids needed to protect the vehicle at the lowest overall cost of ownership to the
customer.
 Reducing maintenance intervals does not improve vehicle durability.
AFTERMARKET OIL & FILTERS
Improvements in engine and lubricant technology have led to increased recommended oil change
intervals. Dealerships should use Motorcraft® Oil & Oil Filters, which are approved by Ford
Engineering to ensure optimal performance:
 Motorcraft Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil is manufactured with high viscosity synthetic
base oils and specifically designed performance additives to ensure optimal performance
over the entire oil change interval.
 Motorcraft Oil Filters use superior seals, pressure relief valves, anti-drain back valves,
polyester and cellulose media with the capacity to handle today’s extended drain intervals.
 Aftermarket oil and oil filters are not recommended by Ford Motor Company.
Ford & Lincoln customers purchasing “The WORKS” package expect to receive Motorcraft Oil &
Oil Filters. Those dealerships not using Motorcraft Oil & Oil Filters are not eligible to participate in
“The WORKS” nationally advertised offers and consumer rebates.
CHEMICALS AND ADDITITVES
Ford Motor Company recommends against the use of all chemicals, treatments or additive
products not identified in the owner guide or unless specifically recommended in publications
such as Technical Service Bulletins. Only approved chemicals, when used as instructed, are
compatible with a vehicle's components and systems.
SYSTEM FLUSHES
The following should be understood related to the topic of engine, transmission, steering, brakes
and fuel system fluid flushing services:

 Demonstrating to a customer that specific fluids should be changed because of a change in
their color is a misleading practice. Darkening of many fluids is normal in most cases.
 If flushing is required in conjunction with a transmission component repair, the dealership
should flush the transmission with only the recommended transmission fluid. Use of chemical
transmission flushes can damage the vehicle's transmission.
 Utilizing fluid exchange equipment is acceptable as long as Ford approved fluids are used.
 Fuel injection system flushing is not considered scheduled maintenance by Ford Motor
Company. Should the fuel injection system require cleaning to resolve a specific condition,
chemicals meeting Ford requirements are recommended, such as Motorcraft Premium Fuel
Injector Cleaner, Motorcraft Pressurized Injector Cleaner or Motorcraft Power Flush Injector
Fluid.
 Engine oil system flushing is not a Ford Motor Company approved maintenance procedure
and is considered an unnecessary expense to your customers. Use of chemical/crankcase
flushes can damage the vehicle's engine.
To assist you in growing your needed customer-paid sales, Ford has established very competitive
pricing on key maintenance and wear parts; including brakes, batteries, tires, filters, as well as
many other products. Additionally, we have worked collaboratively with Dealer Council, PSMAC
and the Dealer Advertising Associations to deploy and continually enhance significant Tier I, II
and III service marketing initiatives.
Customer satisfaction, loyalty and retention are more important than ever in today's business
environment. Selling high-quality Ford and Motorcraft products builds customer loyalty to your
dealership and reinforces the brand promise implied by your Ford or Lincoln franchise. The entire
Ford Team stands ready to help you achieve your consumer experience and dealership profit
goals!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
Jock_FX4 (11-10-2017), PlasmaJab (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Way back in the 90's the BG fuel system service really worked well to get rid of upper combustion chamber/valve deposits, I've literally taken several vehicles with very rough running engines, hard starting, run on (dieseling) etc and cured it all with that stuff.

Technology has come a very long way in a very short amount of time and the stuff is now useless, better fuels, better fuel delivery process, quality parts improvements, fuel delivery in general is nothing like it was back in those days. Problem is the dealers made good money selling the product when it actually mattered that they are hesitant to give up the cash cow even now knowing it does nothing.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
Jock_FX4 (11-10-2017), Liv'nbytheBungie74 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Why defend them by blanking out their info, you are being too nice to them!