Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Dealership has been putting wrong oil in ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dealership has been putting wrong oil in ecoboost

2013 F150 Ecoboost 62,000 Miles

My truck is having the typical loss of power shudder issue. Brought it in and diagnosed as bad coil in cylinder 5 and the dealer recommended to replace all the plugs and the coil at the bad cylinder ($550). I am also starting to notice the timing chain rattle upon startup after a long cold start, but not that frequently. Dealer said there is nothing they can do until they hear it themselves and of course it would be out of warranty.

I have been bringing my truck to Ford dealerships exclusively to ensure that my routine maintenance was always done to Ford spec and to make sure I had solid records in case of an issue. I pulled some of my old oil change receipts, and going back as early as 11/2013 there have been numerous instances of them using 5W-20 in my Truck! (Should be 5W-30).

I brought this up to the service tech and he said he will speak with the service manager and get back to me.

This is pretty alarming considering I am having engine troubles with a 62K mileage truck. I plan on contact Ford Customer Service on Monday morning, but not really sure what would be the best resolution considering my Ecoboost has been being poisoned since it was well within warranty. The manual specifically says if any oil other then 5W-30 is used that it would void the warranty. Very concerning this was done by a Ford Dealership...

Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I check the paperwork each and every time to be sure the work is done as specified.
The following 2 users liked this post by BCMIF150:
coopaloopa (12-16-2017), Ricktwuhk (12-17-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

What ever comes of it won't be on Ford's end, that dealer is responsible for their mistake, just pray they have some sense of right and wrong and do the right thing. In your case would either be to repair the engine on their dime or replace it entirely, again, this will be on the dealer NOT Ford.

While the difference between 5w20 and 5w30 is minimal it is possible that it could create problems especially in a forced induction engine.

Keep all your records handy, DO NOT turn any of it over to said dealer (give them copies if asked) and worse case scenario threaten litigation to make you whole.
The following users liked this post:
coopaloopa (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 03:58 PM

All these records were done in the Ford system at the dealership. Unfortunately, I only have 3 total records showing the wrong oil was put in. I am sure they would be able to pull up the historical service record on their computer, my concern is that they would potentially edit it (if possible). Funny enough I took my truck 90% to one dealership and on a couple occasions to a different dealership that was closer to my location at the time.

I have service tickets from both dealerships showing the wrong oil....Even though I know it is not Ford's fault, I hope they get involved so at least 1 of these 2 dealerships makes it right.

Being a new poster by the way you guys are awesome really appreciate the quick response.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Pretty disturbing that a Ford dealer could make such a mistake performing the most basic maintenance procedure.
Ranks right up there with Jiffy Lube cross threading and stripping the oil pan plug on my ex’s VW.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:25 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,088 Posts

I won't let a dealer to touch my vehicles unless it's absolutely necessary.
Most dealers in my area have low talented kids doing oil changes. I'll spare details but my Jeep oil change and this truck at Ford cost them thousands in paint jobs for scratching paint.. Ford dealer forgot to drain oil and added on top of it. Last time ever for me..even had lifetime oil changes
Old 12-16-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Pretty sure the service department will say that they made a mistake on the paperwork. And that the tech put the right oil in the truck. There is likely no way to dispute this response. I have run into this before and brought it up to service adviser - got that response. Never had an engine symptom though to bounce back on the chance that it mattered.
The following 2 users liked this post by fang2015:
digitaltrucker (12-17-2017), Ricktwuhk (12-17-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 11:02 PM

If I had purchases my own oil and did my own oil changes with the wrong oil and ever had to produce the records for a warranty repair I do not think me saying "I put the right oil in but the receipt is wrong" would get me out of it. It should be no different for a dealership. I can understand if it was a 1 off mistake but I have proof of at least 3 instances and there may be many more in the system. If they truly are not documenting the right parts on their service tickets that is equally concerning.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I honestly that minor of a difference is causing your problems. JMO
Old 12-17-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
What ever comes of it won't be on Ford's end, that dealer is responsible for their mistake, just pray they have some sense of right and wrong and do the right thing. In your case would either be to repair the engine on their dime or replace it entirely, again, this will be on the dealer NOT Ford.

While the difference between 5w20 and 5w30 is minimal it is possible that it could create problems especially in a forced induction engine.

Keep all your records handy, DO NOT turn any of it over to said dealer (give them copies if asked) and worse case scenario threaten litigation to make you whole.
I disagree. At the end of every lot, there is a big blue oval. Ford chooses who it does business with and every time it puts its logo at the end of a lot, it assumes some level of risk. Additionally, the owner’s manual explicitly recommends using authorized dealers to perform all maintenance and repairs tasks.

Quick Reply: Dealership has been putting wrong oil in ecoboost