Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Dammit great way to start my morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dammit great way to start my morning

Had brakes when I got home last night, out the truck in gear at 5:30 this morning and the brake pedal goes right to the floor. I think I have a gnome that sneaks around my house at night and breaks **** on my truck while I'm sleeping.
I checked the fluid, still full. Pumped the breaks and I can hear it whistleing out in the rear driver side. Looked with a flash light and all I can see is fluid dripping down from somewhere near the box no where near the tire. Should be able to get at it from the rear under the box I imagine.
Gonna be a rubber hose for now.
Worst part is I have 2 other cars sitting in the driveway, a 93 Sunbird GT with what I suspect isa blown motor and my daily driver 98 malibu I have for sale, that wont turn over.....hasnt run in weeks...... ****ed if I'm going out there and boosting that pos this morning. Wait for the gf to go to work at 11.Gonna be a short day for me. I really needed this, this morning, oh well a brake line is dick all, and now I get to go back to bed and wait for her
Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 AM
2008 FX4

a gnome or a very vindictive squirrel with a hatred for ford.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Must of hit something on the way home last nite...sounds like a brake line issue from what you mentioned...let us know ??
Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 AM

Have my choice between a Ford and a Chev, its like trying to decide between Alpine and Schooner at this point. Sometimes I really hate vehicles in general.
But the Ford is still ahead by one, two broke down gm products vs one ford.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 AM

i have a really sloped driveway......puts alot of load on the tranny and brakes when i put it in park.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Squishy Heads

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like a brake cylinder those same series if events have happened to me.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by *91f150*
Had brakes when I got home last night, out the truck in gear at 5:30 this morning and the brake pedal goes right to the floor. I think I have a gnome that sneaks around my house at night and breaks **** on my truck while I'm sleeping.
I checked the fluid, still full. Pumped the breaks and I can hear it whistleing out in the rear driver side. Looked with a flash light and all I can see is fluid dripping down from somewhere near the box no where near the tire. Should be able to get at it from the rear under the box I imagine.
Gonna be a rubber hose for now.
Worst part is I have 2 other cars sitting in the driveway, a 93 Sunbird GT with what I suspect isa blown motor and my daily driver 98 malibu I have for sale, that wont turn over.....hasnt run in weeks...... ****ed if I'm going out there and boosting that pos this morning. Wait for the gf to go to work at 11.Gonna be a short day for me. I really needed this, this morning, oh well a brake line is dick all, and now I get to go back to bed and wait for her
Brake lines do burst as do the hoses to the brakes from them. You won't be able to stop today but you can fix it on your day off. A quick battery swap/charge for the malibu will get you to work in an hour. They will forgive you. Just call and explain it. You were very lucky indeed. Maybe the twist turning into your drive and up the grade tore it. I would look at the others closely for cracks and obvious weak spots/bulges.

Last edited by papa tiger; 12-22-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Mad Scientist

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar problem on my car. The metal brake line rusted through (pin sized hole) where it was attached to the frame with those metal clips. I replaced the entire metal line on the drivers side. Your lucky it happen to you when you were parked. I was driving home when the back brakes stopped working.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by molsonlabatt
I had a similar problem on my car. The metal brake line rusted through (pin sized hole) where it was attached to the frame with those metal clips. I replaced the entire metal line on the drivers side. Your lucky it happen to you when you were parked. I was driving home when the back brakes stopped working.

Twenty year old truck in the salt zone, yep brake lines are a replacement. It is a bad day to be on 1st street going down toward the levee. It probably no gonna float long.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:17 PM

Its just a brake line. The lines will need replacing, in the spring. It sould be ok to use a 6 inch piece of rubber hose and 2 clamps on either side just to make it mobile, right. I know rubber hoses arent meant to hold the pressure but it should b an ok temp fix for now, right. Also does ford use regular stp brake fluid, dot 3.

Quick Reply: Dammit great way to start my morning