Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Code P0320 96 F150 4.9

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P0320 96 F150 4.9

I have a lifted 96 Ford F-150 4.9 straight 6 with 191k miles that died on me while driving and now won't start and this problem has been around for a year. It started back in March I just got on the highway and right when I shifted into 4th it died and wouldn't start it would just crank so when I went to diagnose it I got no spark I eventually found out that it was the timing gears which I replaced. Come a couple months later the engine light came on a P0174 too lean on bank 2 and it would sometimes crank a couple more seconds before starting, it mainly did it if I drove it for a while and I would stop at the store for a couple of minutes or get gas then it would start rough. i then went to testing the battery and alternator and both were fine so I assumed maybe the timing was off from when I did the timing gears because I wasn't too sure I got the timing right. Then a couple of months ago my truck again while on the freeway died and wouldn't start up like what happened with my timing gears, I then got lucky and found that the rotor was broke on the distributor and after replacing that, the rotor cap and doing a tune up my truck drove fine but I still would have the rough starting here and there like before. Now this past weekend I drove to the store and when I was done and leaving my truck wouldn't start but now it was like the battery was dead with the dash lights dying and no crank, I then got a jump and assumed my battery was bad even though I tested it a couple months ago with no problems so I assumed with the cold it could of taken it out and I've had this battery for 3 plus years. So when I replaced the battery not only did my truck start up quick but my engine light went away so I thought maybe that was the problem all along but today while driving home on the highway my truck died like it has twice before and now has a P0320 code. I know it's a lot in one thread but I thought I should put in every problem I've had related to this, I need help soon cause I have no idea what to do.
Update: Just got home to today to check for a spark and there's no spark

Last edited by Nick Johnson; 01-05-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-17-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We're you able to fix the problem. My 97 5.4 is throwing P0320 and I'm trying to see if it's something I can fix myself before I take it to my mechanic.

Quick Reply: Code P0320 96 F150 4.9