Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Clutch packs and vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Unhappy Clutch packs and vibration?

Well have trouble with my 05 F-150 shaking while driving. One mechanic said it was my clutch packs and wanted to change out the carrier bearing with it. Another mechanic told me it was the 2 geo-trac tires on it. Well the second mechanic balanced the geo-tracs and for a day it rode fairly smooth. Then it got worse again. So I changed out my 2 geotracs. Did not do bad for a day, but now the vibration is back. Could it be my clutch packs? Needing the advice. Dont want to spend a fortune for a simple fix.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nambow
Well have trouble with my 05 F-150 shaking while driving. One mechanic said it was my clutch packs and wanted to change out the carrier bearing with it. Another mechanic told me it was the 2 geo-trac tires on it. Well the second mechanic balanced the geo-tracs and for a day it rode fairly smooth. Then it got worse again. So I changed out my 2 geotracs. Did not do bad for a day, but now the vibration is back. Could it be my clutch packs? Needing the advice. Dont want to spend a fortune for a simple fix.
Is the truck 4x4 or 4x2? I'd start with getting all new matching tires just so you can rule that out 100% if it comes back. More details on the shaking too... does it do it at the same rpm/ vehicle speed when it shakes?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, where is the shaking felt through? the wheel, the seat, etc...
Old 03-27-2011, 02:59 PM

It is 4wd. Used to be able to feel it mostly between 45-50. Guy told me geotrac tires are almost impossible to balance right. He balanced them and it rode great for a day. Then the same problem. Pretty much same with the replacement tires. Rode great for a day and then vibration started. My original mechanic thinks it may be in the drivetrain, but he does not have the machines for that. He did check the pinion angle and most everything he could with the rear end. He said probably clutch packs or carrier bearings.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clutch packs on mine also. I've got a 2010 F150 4x4. Parts won't be in for a few weeks. I'll let you know after it's done.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Turns out I had a bent rim. Still slight vibration. Think I will be changing clutch packs in next 20 or 30k.

Quick Reply: Clutch packs and vibration?