Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

charge system light & rough shut off

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Katt Mcd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charge system light & rough shut off

I have a 2005 ford lariat and have had some issues lately and I am terrified that something else is brewing.
This week the charging system light came on three times in a row and would then go out, and at the same time when I shut the truck off its not running on but its a rough shut off and you wonder if its going to start again when I get back in again....
I am really worried that this is all leading to something and hope that someone can help with an idea before its a BIG issue and I can pre-empt a larger fix if possible! I really think I need to marry a mechanic soon! LOL if anyone has any ideas on what this may be I would be grateful for the help!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

The charge light may be the voltage regulator or even a battery going bad. The rough shut off often means there's too much fuel in the cylinders at shutdown, usually caused by worn out fuel injectors (or dirty injectors) Try SeaFoam in the fuel tank or Lucas gas treatment and drive it a 100 miles or so to see if it clears up. The electrical issues will require some shop testing or remove the alternator and have a parts store test it. Good luck

Quick Reply: charge system light & rough shut off