Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

changed out struts and rear shockss

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 05:37 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default changed out struts and rear shockss

Used monroe quick struts comes all asembled , less work-- less dangerous.
Advanced auto matched amazon price 122 each on struts ,38 each on rear shocks .
Jack up both front wheels to do struts this will allow you to move the wheels easy .
Mark the top strut bolt on the engine side ,this will allow you to position the new one the same way when you have them side by side . put a mark at the bottom end of the strut to help you see which way to stick it up in the from below.
You need a good breaker bar and a heavy 3 foot piece of pipe to slide over bar to get enough power to break bottom bolt loose at 350 ft pounds of torque . Top bolts are 35 pounds-- 15 mm . Do not disturb top middle bolt on struts as this holds the spring power--danger -danger will robinson .
Had to remove steering rod bolt on front of wheel assembly to get struts out and in . Torque this one at 111 ft lbs .
Bottom strut bolt 350 pound torque , my wrench only goes to 300 ft pound- guess I give it a little more with my pipe extension this nut is 30mm so beg borrow one or get one at harbor freight .
Now what to do with the dangerous old struts--free rental at advanced auto on spring compressor. ???
2005 f150 lariat 5.4 l 3v 138k miles
Old 11-24-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What symptoms were you having that led you to believe the front struts needed to be changed? I just changed my rear shocks and the old ones, esp drivers side, were dead. Over swales in the road, the truck would dip further on that corner and cause the truck to pull a little. With new shocks, it is much improved, but I'd like to know if the fronts need to be replaced. No sign of leaks and truck has less than 80k on originals...2005 F150.

Quick Reply: changed out struts and rear shockss