Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

catalytic converter rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default catalytic converter rattle

I have a 2004 lariat extended cab .
The drivers side catalytic converter rattling .
I was wondering if i can take them off and put a piece of pipe in there place . Cheaper than buying new ones ?
Can it be done by slipping pipe over pipe with clamps ? If so how much louder would it be ?
Would i get error codes ?

Thanks .
Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Sure, you can. And you already know that a piece of pipe & some clamps are cheaper than a cat - why even ask?

But it's not legal anywhere - not even in places that don't have emissions inspections. And it won't help the truck - it won't run right, and the CEL will probably stay on.

So when you get a flat tire, do you just put a bigger screw into the hole? Or replace it with a big donut of styrofoam? It's cheaper than fixing it right, or buying a new one.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Sure, you can. And you already know that a piece of pipe & some clamps are cheaper than a cat - why even ask?

But it's not legal anywhere - not even in places that don't have emissions inspections. And it won't help the truck - it won't run right, and the CEL will probably stay on.

So when you get a flat tire, do you just put a bigger screw into the hole? Or replace it with a big donut of styrofoam? It's cheaper than fixing it right, or buying a new one.
Yeah i did some searching and saw that it was illegal to take them off after i posted .
I can only do one at a time, Does the O2 sensor have to be renewed as well ?
Old 09-13-2018, 09:58 AM

No, damage to the cats does not imply damage to the HO2Ss. Click these & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 PM

Is it possible to install just this ?
(Because of cost)

Old 09-18-2018, 08:20 PM

Of course. But until you know what the root cause is, and fix that, you can't know that a replacement cat will last.

And that may not be the most cost-effective replacement anyway. It still has to be welded in, and the air pipe has to be plumbed into it. Proper welding requires the Y-pipe to be removed anyway, so price a direct-replacement Y-pipe with cats & air tubes before creating more problem$ for yourself.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Nothing to add except to say thank you and doing it the right way. I get behind rednecks all the time up here that are too cheap/poor/stupid/inconsiderate to fix things correctly. Needless to say, the exhaust just reeks, causing headaches and itchy eyes to people behind you.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:28 PM
F150 Forum

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyInHudsonFl
I have a 2004 lariat extended cab .
The drivers side catalytic converter rattling .
I was wondering if i can take them off and put a piece of pipe in there place .A Cheaper than buying new ones ?
Can it be done by slipping pipe over pipe with clamps ? If so how much louder would it be ?
Would i get error codes ?

Thanks .
As others have stated taking the cheaper or quicker route, in the end, can cause more headaches and increase your out of pocket expenses. If you can turn a wrench a direct replacement is the way to go. Because the vehicle was built before 2006 (when Emissions Laws changed) you do not have any additional emissions components after the forward catalytic converters. You state that the driver's side is making noise, but if you had a catalytic converter failure you will see a M.I.L. illuminated. You may be jumping the gun a little bit, but if you'd like to replace it is fairly straight-forward.

Our 2.50" Direct-fit Catalytic Converter (part #2020006) is a simple bolt-on replacement based on the factory specs and is 49 State legal. As long as your vehicle is not in California or New York you will have no issue passing an emissions test/inspection and ensuring that your emissions system is legal.

From previous experience, it's usually better to replace all o2 sensors during the replacement of the catalytic converter even if still appearing to be "good". If the cat has XXX,XXX amount of miles on it then so do the sensors. A small investment now can save a lot of time and headaches in the future.

The universal replacement options can be difficult to correctly plumb without the assistance of an exhaust professional. The location of the catalytic converter and the location of the o2 sensor play vital roles in getting the correct exhaust flow, temp, mixture readings that the ECU is programmed to read. Any variation due to incorrect placement may cause the o2 sensor to incorrectly read and signal the system to add or remove fuel, causing premature failure of the new catalytic converter.

If you have additional questions please PM me or call 707-544-4761 and don't forget you to use your forum code F150TEN if needed!

- Jason @ Flowmaster

Quick Reply: catalytic converter rattle