Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Catalyst Monitor not ready - anyone else see this??

Old 06-22-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalyst Monitor not ready - anyone else see this??

Hi there and thanks for looking! I've been struggling for a few months now to get my truck to pass smog. I've had three smog shops and my own OBDII scanner tell me that the catalyst monitor is not ready, and there are no error codes. I've put 250+ miles on the truck, following the driving procedures carefully and still no dice!

Anyone else have this problem and successfully get it cleared up? Everyone just tells me, "keep driving it!" but it seems like something else must be going on???

The truck is all stock, under 75k. I did replace the battery in January but have driven it a ton since then. Ironically it passed smog that month but they just changed the rules in Kalifornia in April!

Thanks for any insights!!
Old 12-19-2016, 09:17 PM

Did you ever get anywhere on this? Dealing with the same thing after a battery change. No codes but wont amog due to no sensor info.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2016, 12:18 PM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

Battery change, (like clearing DTCs), resets the catalyst efficiency monitor flag and the PCM has to go through the (rather lengthy) process again over several "drive cycles".

The PCM has a software routine called the Diagnostic Executive that schedules, runs, suspends "monitor tests". Several conditions will suspend - or prevent the Catalyst Efficiency Monitor from starting. Most notable are:

• Sensors OK? (ECT,IAT,TP,VSS,CKP) - but should result in codes which you mention not having.
• Engine Coolant Temp < 170º
• PTO (4WD) engaged ALL THE TIME. Engaging PTO suspends the test.
• IAT < 20º
• Fuel Level < 15%
• EVAP Monitor Completed
• The Diagnostic Executive suspends OBD monitoring when battery voltage falls below 11.0 volts.
• The Diagnostic Executive suspends monitoring of fuel-system related monitors (catalyst, misfire, evap,O2, AIR and fuel system) when fuel level falls below 15%

Taken from Motorcraft OBDII Theory of Operation Manual for my 2004 F150.

That document has a ton of useful information, and a copy for your specific vehicle can be downloaded from here: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/freeresources/obd
That link should get you right to the page to select your vehicle/model. If not - chose your country, then select > "Free Resources" > OBDII Theory of Operation.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:29 PM

Thanks, I will read up on that. I have the drive cycles specified in the manual but my wife seems to think that she can somewhat follow them and it should be okay. It wasn't. So now we start again. Hopefully she follows the manuals directions and we get this thing smogged.

John (Flakman)
Old 02-01-2018, 04:25 PM

Default CAT Monitor not ready - sorted

Yes I know this is an old thread, BUT I fixed this problem and wanted to let others know how.

I have a 2002 F150 5.4 50 state truck that has had a P1000 code for the last 3,000 miles over the last 2 years, with no other codes apart from an ABS one that I fixed and cleared when I got it 2 years ago.

Well, it is time for smog again but even with a new battery, no DTCs or SEL, the P1000 continued - even after a further 300 miles of mixed driving and a careful full Ford Drivecycle the 'Cat Monitor' showed 'incomplete'.

I then repeated the 25 - 45 mph cruise for 10 minutes at 5 different speeds section of the test BUT for each of the 5 speeds I literally used the cruise control ... and that was all it took to clear the P1000!
Old 02-01-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Just FYI: the drive cycle is described in the caption of this diagram:

(phone app link)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I've used a drive cycle write up that differed slightly from the one posted. To reset the cat you did city driving under specific conditions. Cruise a bit at max 45mph, come to complete stop, get back up to cruise speed at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, cruise a bit max 45mph. Repeat, repeat, repeat with scanner along for the ride, the cat monitor will eventually reset. The write really only differed in that it spelled out this portion was to reset the cat monitor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catalyst Monitor not ready - anyone else see this??