Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

can't remove my fuel filter 1999 5.4 triton

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't remove my fuel filter 1999 5.4 triton

i use the little white coupler tools but it won't push in, any body?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

After struggling with both types of disconnect tools the cheap plastic one and lots of Kroil finally loosened things up and it came apart. Mine came apart after working the filter back and forth on the line and finally the spring released. That was four years ago and now its only a regular PITA job. How stupid to put a filter that should be changed annually in such a bad place. That being said my 95 F150 is one of the easiest vehicles to work on that I've ever owned.
Regards
rikard
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

get a metal fuel line tool. push the tool (make sure youre using the proper side of the tool) and twist it. line should pop right now. ive done many. some are easier than others. you just have to keep working it.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Spray some brake clean into the fitting to flush it out. Then some of your favorite penetrating oil. Let it sit 4 or 5 mins then use a metal quick release tool.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by rikard
After struggling with both types of disconnect tools the cheap plastic one and lots of Kroil finally loosened things up and it came apart. Mine came apart after working the filter back and forth on the line and finally the spring released. That was four years ago and now its only a regular PITA job. How stupid to put a filter that should be changed annually in such a bad place. That being said my 95 F150 is one of the easiest vehicles to work on that I've ever owned.
Regards
rikard
i agree the f150 is made to be easy to work on, my c4 corvette had something covering what you wanted to fix and that cover needed a manual to take off and it would break... truck, you can beat it mercilessly, and nothing happens...but the fuel filter..hmmmm
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pity7700
get a metal fuel line tool. push the tool (make sure youre using the proper side of the tool) and twist it. line should pop right now. ive done many. some are easier than others. you just have to keep working it.
i wanted to save money, i used my plastic ones, i don't even remember what really to do with it, can't i make thee plastic ones work? some youtube, says the metal tool don't work well either....
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
Spray some brake clean into the fitting to flush it out. Then some of your favorite penetrating oil. Let it sit 4 or 5 mins then use a metal quick release tool.
thanks I'll spray away, next time i am under there, love it don't even have to jack the truck up....
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I also unbolt the filter from the frame rail first to give me more room.

Quick Reply: can't remove my fuel filter 1999 5.4 triton