Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Cam phaser question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam phaser question

While trouble shooting a rich code, replaced #3 injector, I noticed the "VarCam Time 1 Advance" at 0 deg, and stays there at idle and at load, while the VarCam Time 2 Advance will go from 0 deg at idle to around 46 deg at load. Shouldn't they move together? I checked the cam solenoid, and have replaced the cam solenoid on bank 1. I have no codes and it starts and runs fine. Any thoughts?

2006 Lincoln Mark LT 5.4
Old 12-02-2018, 02:27 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

I am not positive about your terminology with "VarCam Time 1 Advance" and VarCam Time 2 Advance". PID acrynoms and names vary between code readers and scanners - unfortunately. But from your readings, I say it is referring EITHER to cam retard requested by the PCM, OR the error factor calculated by the PCM (being the difference between 'Requested Retard' and 'Actual Cam Position') - which is _Advance_ if they are not properly responding to a request for retard. Although bank 1 and bank 2 have separate Retard Requests, I know of no reason they would be vary far apart. Doing so will definitely throw fuel trims out of balance.

Sounds like gobbldy goop, but the cams do not advance by design - but only retard from base Zero degrees. Now having said all that, It is firmly my belief that it is NOT correct if yours does not track roughly the same. Also, the spec for the 5.4L is a P001x or P002x will be produced if Actual Cam Position is more than 5 degrees from Requested Retard for more than 5 seconds.

There might be some useful information in this post:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...4/#post5133357

Quick Reply: Cam phaser question