Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Caliper Bracket "nut" with sleeve/bushing/blacknwrinkly

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:51 PM
Bubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caliper Bracket "nut" with sleeve/bushing/blacknwrinkly

I am in the long process of lifting my truck that I only get to work on a few hours a week because of work and the "professional mechanics" down at franks discount had cross threaded one of my caliper bracket bolts.. this being said, as soon as I started loosening the bolt the head came out of the bracket and the rest of the bolt was still threaded in.. So I went to the autozone hub and picked up a caliper bracket only to find out it did not come with the nut piece or the bushing. Does anyone know where I could get this part and how to install it? Any advice is appreciated. If it was my jeep I'd just drill it and tap it but I want everything to be 100% on my daily driver.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:08 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaChavis
I am in the long process of lifting my truck that I only get to work on a few hours a week because of work and the "professional mechanics" down at franks discount had cross threaded one of my caliper bracket bolts.. this being said, as soon as I started loosening the bolt the head came out of the bracket and the rest of the bolt was still threaded in.. So I went to the autozone hub and picked up a caliper bracket only to find out it did not come with the nut piece or the bushing. Does anyone know where I could get this part and how to install it? Any advice is appreciated. If it was my jeep I'd just drill it and tap it but I want everything to be 100% on my daily driver.
I can safely assume your working on a Ford truck, how bout giving some more info, YEAR for a start, engine, 2 or 4wd, cab configuration, no one here reads minds.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:56 PM
Bubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I can safely assume your working on a Ford truck, how bout giving some more info, YEAR for a start, engine, 2 or 4wd, cab configuration, no one here reads minds.
04 new body style, 4.6 v8 4wd ext cab..
Old 09-16-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Can you snap a pic of what your looking at? Some years the threads were part of the steering knuckle, some the caliper bracket is threaded.

Last edited by RLXXI; 09-16-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Do you mean the caliper bracket mounting bolts (big, 18mm IIRC), or the caliper guide pins (smaller, 12mm IIRC)?
If it's the mounting bolts, drill it out, replace it.
If it's the guide pins, and you can't get the caliper off, remove the caliper bracket mounting bolts. Once you slide the bracket/caliper off the rotor, you can then separate them, since the head of the bolt broke off. Then just replace them.
Like Rnlcomp said, a picture may help out here.
The following users liked this post:
chuy818 (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i snapped my lower caliper mounting bolt yesterday. all I did Is remove the the top mounting bolt and separated both the caliper a bracket and was able to remove the broken bolt. called a couple of auto parts to see if they had it in stock and just replaced it....
would any of you would happen to know if the caliper guide pins go in a certain way? i notice one has a rubber sleeve near the tip of the pin.
2005 f150 2wd

Last edited by chuy818; 02-24-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Caliper Bracket "nut" with sleeve/bushing/blacknwrinkly