Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Brand new 2018 5.0 wouldn’t start or crank.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brand new 2018 5.0 wouldn’t start or crank.

Hi folks, new to the forum here. I just Picked up a brand new F150 with the 5.0 in it just this past Wednesday. The other morning it wouldn’t start with the remote start but I think that might have been operator error. This morning I went out to move it for the snow plow to clean up and it wouldn’t start. No crank, just a click. Truck has 600kms on it. Tried using the remote start and nothing. Switched keys and still nothing. Snow plow guy pulled up to boost me (it was -20 Celsius this morning), put the cables on it and still nothing. Everything inside worked but still just a click. Wiggled the cables tried again and nothing. Sat there for a second and left the key turned forward. Tried it one last time and it fired up like nothing. Dealer is closed here tomorrow for a holiday but I’m just wondering if there is something I should check. I read somewhere about disconnecting the battery and letting things reset. Is it possible that the battery is weak from siting in the lot (it’s a leftover 2018 so not sure how long it say there). I just came over to ford from a Nissan and I was pretty disappointed this morning when that happened. Hoping it’s just some silly little thing that happened but I would still like to know if this is something that is common or just my bad luck still chasing me🤦*♂️
Old 02-17-2019, 11:17 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

I wouldn't mess with it, just let them pick it up and update us on what was wrong with it.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:37 PM

I would just let the dealer worry about it but up here in the great white north nothing is open today and tomorrow is a holiday here. I also don’t really want to be without a vehicle for any length of time so don’t want to drop it off while they are closed. It’s been fine all the rest of the day so far. Hopefully it was just a little glitch and I don’t need to worry about it anymore.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:20 AM

Did the same thing this morning. No start or crank with the remote or the key. Message showed up to check charging system. Called roadside assistance and while I’m on the phone with them tried it a couple more times and all of a sudden it fired right up instantly. Tried it twice since this morning and it starts right up. Needless to say tomorrow morning I’ll be waiting at the dealers door for them to open (if it will start&#128580.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar issue where it said something along the lines of check charging system and saying service immediately. It would crank and run fine, but throw me the error when driving.
Dealer replaced the battery and said it was a bad cell. If it isn't cranking or starting your battery is most likely the issue...
Old 02-18-2019, 11:14 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Find a trickle charger (if you don't have one) and put it on for the day/night. If it fires right up in the morning either the battery was super low or is bad. If it doesn't start you have other issues.

If it fires it still could have a bad battery. Cold weather, short trips will not keep a battery fully charged. It is not uncommon for a battery to go bad after sitting on the lot for a long period of time. Many need at the very least a full charging.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Well tomorrow it will go to the dealer and I’ll see what they say. I thought a battery issue too but what makes me wonder about that is the fact it will start after leaving it for a few minutes and it’s like there is nothing wrong. Then it will be fine all day. I really hope it’s just something simple like them needing to flash the computer or change the battery.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:06 PM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

Probably a bad battery. Typical lead acid batteries can not tolerate being run down on voltage, and if it was flat lined sitting on a dealer lot then chances are its no good and wont hold a charge. I'm betting a new battery fixes it right up.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:00 AM

If it was a lead acid battery I would say that was the problem for sure but this truck came with an AGM in it. Still doesn’t mean that it isn’t the battery though. I’ve seen brand new AGM’s be no good in marine applications so it’s quite possible. Hopefully I’ll have some answers today after getting to the dealer ( either driving or having it towed in if it won’t start again🤦*♂️).
Old 02-19-2019, 12:23 PM

Dealer has determined it’s the starter. Has 2 other ones there right now for the same problem. Something about some of them weren’t sealed right and they get moisture in them. Makes sense because the problem started right after going through a car wash. Got one ordered and I just need to deal with it until it comes in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brand new 2018 5.0 wouldn’t start or crank.