Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Brake Pad Dust

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake Pad Dust

1992 F-150

So I am looking for the best solution to reduce/eliminate front brake pad dust on my alloy wheels.

I have heard that there are better pads and also dust shields that can be installed.

Does anyone have solutions?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I believe dust shields will affect your cooling adversely. Most people who want to cut down on brake dust do that by selecting a good ceramic pad to replace a semi-metallic. Some will argue that there is a trade-off in stopping power by going ceramic, but other argue that's BS. Lots of people running ceramics. On some models, ceramics are OEM. I went semi-metallic. I pull a trailer, and don't mind frequent truck baths, so I erred on the side of 'semi-metallic are superior'.
Edit: I went with Wagners Thermoquiet semi-metallic. They put off less dust than my OEM pads, but still noticeable after a few days of driving.

Last edited by Mulestang; 01-19-2016 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-21-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I would stay away from the dust sheilds, they hold a lot of heat. Check out pfc ( performance friction) brakes or the new Wagner thermoquiets with less then 5 percent copper.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Dust