Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Bad mechanic or coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad mechanic or coincidence?

I have a 03 F-150 4.6 V8 tritan engine with 105k that had a misfire in cylinder 6. Changed plugs and coils still had a misfire. Took it to a shop they took the head off and found that the valve had tuliped. I had them send both heads to a machine shop they replaced the valve. I got it back noticed it seemed like i had to give it a lot more gas to get up to speed and 60 miles down the road i hit a red light, the oil pressure gauge dropped to 0. Oil light came on but when the light turned green i went and the oil pressure went back to normal but now it knocks anytime you give it gas. I had it towed to the place that did the work and the mechanic says i must have a burned piston that he claims he counldn't see while the heads were off. I paid him 2899 for the work he did now he says he'll give me a deal on a new engine for 5100 because he feels bad for me. I know a couple mechanics and they say he must've got something in the oil pan while the heads were off and clogged something up and that a have a ruined rod bearing. They say i should be suing this guy but is there any way to actually prove its his fault?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Hard to say, you would have to have another mechanic look at it to determine what caused the failure, with that many miles on it I wouldn't put a new engine in it, get a good used complete engine from www.lkq.com for a lot cheaper.

I had them ship me a used engine for a 97 V8 SHO, 3.4L Yamaha. Short block from Ford was $12,000.00, my cost working at the dealer, just a short block. No heads. Paid $1,500 to lkq and it was ready to drop in and go. And they give a 30 day warranty, if something happens they will send you another.

Quick Reply: Bad mechanic or coincidence?