Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

bad engine shake, running rough if at all

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default bad engine shake, running rough if at all

04 5.4 triton super crew with 174k miles.
Started 2 days ago, started the truck and suddenly the motor was shaking terribly and hardly running, then wouldn't run at all. I pushed the fuel pump button in the wheel well and got it to run another couple of miles before having to get a tow home. While it was running I didn't see any overheating or problems with oil pressure. The wrench light flashes every time I start the car and always has, it goes off after a couple flashes - I don't know if that's normal or not.

the FPDM was in bad shape so I replaced it today, but it hasn't corrected the problem. Engine light is flashing, but I don't have an OBD tool and can't drive it anywhere to have it checked.

I have recently had all plugs and coils replaced, as well as the fuel filter. it is overdue for an oil change by about 100 miles.

It seems obvious to me that this is a fuel supply issue, but the way that it's shaking so bad has me a little stumped.

before I drop the tank and spend money on a fuel pump, I thought I'd ask the group. I took a long look through several pages of posts and couldn't find anything related to what I'm having.

any help is appreciated!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The flashing check engine light indicates something pretty severe. If you can't diagnose it at home you're going to need to get it towed somewhere to get it done.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:18 PM

bought a basic code reader, bc well, obv i need one.

codes retrieved are:
p0302 (misfire cyl 2)
p0306 (misfire cyl 6)
p0606 (generic ignition coil A code????)
p0351 (generic ECM communication code)

all plugs and coils are new, so I'm just going to go out and swap them out and see if the codes change or go away.

could this be an injector issue?
thanks!!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:53 PM

installed new coils on 2 & 6, no change. disconnected injector electrical connectors on 2 & 6, no change. Interestingly, the engine light did not come on after I swapped the coils even though the engine was still running rough. Didn't come on yet, anyway.

so I'm kind of at a loss.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem. I just had the timing chain, timing cover, and guide rods replaced. My enging still shakes pretty violently once the engine is warmed up but not all the time. It will intermittently shake then stop for awhile.

My mechanic said my oil screen was clogged and not enough oil was getting to a certain part of the engine.

I'm trying to see if I can locate this engine oil screen and clean it out. I can't find a diagram that shows me where it's located at.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

@Gossinater, your oil screen is inside the oil pan. Gotta drop the pan. Should have been done as part of the timing job because almost 100% sure chance pieces of broken guides get sucked into the screen and lodge there. That often results in 'cavitation' at the input to the oil pump putting air bubbles throughout the oil galleys, knocking the heck out of oil pressure because the air bubbles compresses, where oil won't.
The following users liked this post:
Gossinater (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:59 PM
LightningRod

@chrisarrick your P0351 is "Primary circuit" fault on cyl #1. FIRST: Make darned sure the plastic 'clip' isn't broken and the coil plug is making contact.

The Flashing CEL at startup is NOT normal. Indicates a catalyst damaging level of richness - generally resulting from misfires which dump unburned fuel into the exhause (UNTIL the PCM shuts down the injector in the case of the P035X series of codes). That may have something to do with your unplugging injectors, etc.

However the P0606 is more troubling if it is persistent.

I would be focusing on spark plugs / (Including removing carbon buildup from extended plug cavity) / proper plug torque, NEW boots and springs with dielectric grease and very clean meticulous job. I would try to eliminate the KNOWN misfire problems and see if the flashing CEL and/or P0606 persists.
Good Luck.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:57 PM

I was told it was difficult to access the oil screen. So if I drop my oil pan I can locate that screen and clean/replace it?

Guy that did timing chain work said to do an engine flush with my next few oil changes and see if that dislodged the stuck particles.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:20 PM
LightningRod

With oil pan removed, you will have absolutely NO problem finding the screen and pickup tube - and you will clearly see the 'fallacy' of the engine flush suggestion.

I can't tell from prior posts or your profile if we're dealing with a 4x4 or 2wd. If the latter, its a breeze to remove after dropping the cross member (except for a couple of the very front bolts. If its a 4x4, we can point you to some HOW TO's.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:30 PM

It's a 2wd. I can manage that task. I will attempt dropping the pan and locating the pickup tube.

Do you know the exact part name so I can do some research on them if I have to replace it?

http://www.melling.com/OEM/Products/OilPickUpTubes
I am looking here for the pickup tube and screen, am I anywhere near the right place?