Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Alternator Issue?

Old 06-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Issue?

Hello All,

First time posting a question...need your input.

Have a 2002 F-150 with, I believe, alternator problems. Here are the symptoms...

Lately, I have seen the lights dim from time to time. Additionally, when the truck starts up, there is a faint "whine" which increases as I press the accelerator. Lastly, the battery warning light on the dash has been lighting up indicating an issue.

I have had the electrical system tested at an auto parts store...they said battery, connections and alternator were fine. I'm just thinking that the alternator wasn't acting up at the time of the test and is about to go out. The truck is 12 years old and has never had the alternator replaced. The battery was replaced about a year ago and the connections still look good. Any ideas as to what this might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Battery light usually indicates an alternator problem.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:13 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

being that the battery is only a year old...I would say its the alt..
Old 06-02-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Make sure all of the grounds straps from the battery to the motor and from the motor to the body are in good condition. Often what seems like an electrical charging failure is just a bad ground. If you didn't remove the alternator for bench testing, it wasn't really a reliable test. You can try starting the truck and turn on every light, accessory and A/C and really load the alt. If the batt. light comes on the alt. needs to be changed. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator Issue?