Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Advice on rust repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on rust repair

Hi there,

I am thinking of buying an older, classic really, F-150. It's a 1979, and it's got some rust problems. I am not an expert, so I wanted to get some input from other more experience members, if these problems are repairable, and possibly even how much they think it would cost.

Here are some pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11348...Iqk6tnAjvrRoQE

Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is repairable, it all depend on what you want to do with the truck but also how much you want to spend to keep it nice. When a panel is rusted it have to be either replaced, like a front fender where you only need to remove the screws to take it off. Other parts need to be cut and then the new parts need to be welded back, some other specific area of the car simply need to be redone all in all every single body parts can be fix on a car. Just make sure that the body shop where you take it to weld a new panel and not just use bondo as a quick fix, otherwise it won't last very long, if done properly it will be like new.
The following users liked this post:
MyID8MyName (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DoubleA007.
I asked a couple of places around here (MA) and they told me that don't do rust repairs. I was pretty surprised. Anyway, I decided not to buy that truck, not for the rust, but because it was not quite suitable as a daily driver.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the so call body shop these day only swap parts, like fender and such. I think you are right, find a decent one that can be driven for a while without repair.

Good luck
Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 PM

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

Having that repaired properly would be cost prohibitive. There is a LOT of labor that goes into fixing rust areas.

The rust on the cab isn't too bad. It might be cheaper to replace the bed though.

You're better off passing on that. There's probably a lot of rust underneath the truck that you can't/didn't see like on the frame.

Quick Reply: Advice on rust repair