Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Advantages of Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advantages of Synthetic Oil

I know their has been a couple threads about different oil types, but I still cannot figure out the advantages of synthetic oil over regular oil. Also, I was told that once you switch from regular to synthetic you cannot change back and was wondering if this was true. I would appreciate any feedback and also welcome personal opions.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:06 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordaholic
I know their has been a couple threads about different oil types, but I still cannot figure out the advantages of synthetic oil over regular oil. Also, I was told that once you switch from regular to synthetic you cannot change back and was wondering if this was true. I would appreciate any feedback and also welcome personal opions.
Synthetic oil does not break down as fast as conventional oil. You can go 5000 miles between oil changes as opposed to 3000. You can switch back if you choose to. There is no mechanical reason that you cant. I do recommend adding a BG Products MOA to the oil EVERY oil change. That is some good stuff.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

What he said^
Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to read this this test is with Mobil one synthetic oil. Make sure you scroll down and read the results

And here is some other info here and here and here is a oil forum

Yes like NGM said you can switch to and from synthetic oils and it will not hurt anything. The oil that everyone seems to have this confused with is high mileage oil. It swells seals to stop leaks and once you use it you have to always use it.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
The oil that everyone seems to have this confused with is high mileage oil. It swells seals to stop leaks and once you use it you have to always use it.
I did not know this....
Old 03-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Big Red Machine

The oil that everyone seems to have this confused with is high mileage oil. It swells seals to stop leaks and once you use it you have to always use it.

That is some very helpful info. thanks crystal
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
You need to read this this test is with Mobil one synthetic oil. Make sure you scroll down and read the results

And here is some other info here and here and here is a oil forum

Yes like NGM said you can switch to and from synthetic oils and it will not hurt anything. The oil that everyone seems to have this confused with is high mileage oil. It swells seals to stop leaks and once you use it you have to always use it.
He is EXACTLY right.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks Everyone for your Help. I have now swtiched to mobil 1 synthetic. The shop where i got it done at said i still need to change it every three thousand miles, which from everywhere i have read is wrong.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Big Red Machine

They just want to make money off ya. Dirty rats.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by Fordaholic
Thanks Everyone for your Help. I have now swtiched to mobil 1 synthetic. The shop where i got it done at said i still need to change it every three thousand miles, which from everywhere i have read is wrong.
Every 5000 and I am not making money off of you...lol

Quick Reply: Advantages of Synthetic Oil