Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

'97 F150 5.4L V8 with 4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 F150 5.4L V8 with 4x4 problems

Is it possible for a GEM module to develop issues that only affect the 4x4 operation? I ask because I'm having issues with my 4x4 not working. As listed above it's a '97 Ford F150 5.4L V8 with ESOF. When I flip the switch on the dash panel nothing happens. And I mean nothing. No clicks in the dash, no lights on the cluster. Zero.Nada.

I have removed the dash switch and tested it. Resistance levels were where they should be in all 3 positions. I have checked fuse #23 and it's not blown. Checked voltage on the lines going into the solenoids and all read at 12V. Resistance tested both solenoids and both tested at 71.2 Ohms. Not sure what else it could be other than possibly the GEM module. But piecing together everything I've read so far, if the GEM was the issue there would usually be more than one electrical problem showing up. But the 4x4 is the only thing not working. Power windows, power locks, windshield wipers, hazard lights, everything else works just fine.

Any other recommendations or ideas? I'm trying to do the work myself to avoid the cost of the repair shop.

Quick Reply: '97 F150 5.4L V8 with 4x4 problems