Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

95 f150 OBDI code 452/VSS/OD Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 f150 OBDI code 452/VSS/OD Light

Good afternoon!

New around here as well as new to owning a truck. Bought an old 95 F150 for scrappin. Its got 160k miles, and the 5.8l v8. Got it for under 2k so I have just been waiting for something to go wrong.... but its now been over a month with no issues (... well I dont think).

Here what I know
Every now n' then the vehicle will stop shifting out of first.... it will shift, but only if you rev it up to like 5k rpm and it then HARD shifts. I have tried putting in park, reverse, etc etc and nothing fixes it... BUT if I just turn the truck off and back on it is fine again.

A week ago I was coming home and my OD light started blinking and at the same time my shifting got funny. It began to shift hard, but not as hard as in the previous scenarios... it felt like the "limp home" mode I have read about. I just carefully revved it up and then let off the accelerator before it would shift and it wouldnt shift so hard. Unfortunately, I have turned it off and back on but the problem proceeds. Also!!! At around 60mph my speedometer needle bounces back and forth a bit (10mph range or so).

First, I checked to ensure all fuses are OK.
Next, I learned of the OBDI system and checked that. I got codes 539 (Oops I had AC on) and 452 which looks to be the VSS. Could the VSS be causing my issues? With them being so cheap it couldnt hurt to replace, could it?

Thank you for your time!!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your VSS. on my 94 it was on top of the rear differential. you can check it with a multimeter but if it were me I'd just replace it. they're only like $15.

Quick Reply: 95 f150 OBDI code 452/VSS/OD Light