Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

93 f150 5.8 Hesitation when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 f150 5.8 Hesitation when cold

I have a 1993 f150 ext cab flair side with a 351 5.8l in the past few months it has had New manifolds put on on both sides, recent tune up plugs, wires, distributor cap, air filter. Fuel, filter and oil change. I also cleaned the idle air control, cleaned the egr and put on a new egr pipe/tube also replaced all of the old cracked and broken plastic vacuum lines with rubber ones. I have been having 2 problems with it since I got it about 3yrs ago. First is it has no ***** what so ever it won't even do a burnout In The mud it just putts along and going up hills forget it you can take on a hill at 55mph in overdrive and by the time you get to top hte top you are in 2nd gear screaming. And the other problem is when it is cold out and you start it if you don't let it sit for 15-20 minutes to completely warm up. It will buck and carryon when accelerating. Things I tried so far is engine restore in the motor.. and use Lucas fuel condition and injector cleaner almost every time I filled up for almost 2 months. What could be wrong?

Last edited by gjoakum; 12-09-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

What's your timing set at? 10* is factory stock.

What's plugs gapped at and what type of plugs?

What's your fuel pressure at Key on engine off and engine running?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Did you clean the MAF sensor? Are there any codes showing up when you run a diagnostic? If so what are they?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:25 AM

I ran the codes last week but I can't remember the code number but when I looked it up. There was to possibilities from the 1 and only code it pulled which was something with the crank sensor or something with the tranny. Sip don't see it being the cranks but I'm gonna do a full tranny fluid change and filter even in the transfer case and torque converter

Quick Reply: 93 f150 5.8 Hesitation when cold