Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

5.4L Exhaust Manifold Stud/Nut Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.4L Exhaust Manifold Stud/Nut Opinion

I bought my first truck in December, a 2009 F150 SC FX4. My first post, so I'll disclaim I'm a total noob.

Shortly after I purchased said truck I discovered an exhaust leak that wasn't disclosed at the time of sale. I took it to a local mechanic who removed the manifold, removed two broken studs and installed a new gasket. The manifold was reinstalled as he said it was in good shape.

But the problem still persists. I lifted the hood today, and I see the pictured stud/nut, which to me looks cross threaded. In your opinions, would the pictured cause an exhaust leak? Or should I look at replacing the manifold?
Attached Thumbnails 5.4L Exhaust Manifold Stud/Nut Opinion-20170322_132159.jpg   5.4L Exhaust Manifold Stud/Nut Opinion-20170322_132237.jpg  
Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Looks to me like bolt with lock washer. Not tight against manifold. I bet bolt is either lose or bottomed out in hole. I would take out bolt and use stud with nut. Same size as bolt.

There's no telling what this guy did, may have drilled out stud and put oversized bolt in.
I would go with oem manifold with stainless studs and nuts. And I did twice. Dorman manifold cracked first time...

After looking at the original nut and stud to right it doesn't look like it was removed, no marks on nut. Maybe never removed.

He could have welded nut on end of broken stud and removed without removing manifold but gasket would still be bad.

Last edited by raisin; 03-22-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks raisin. This is really helpful. I will try and find out what he did. I am doubting he fixed anything really, and I'm now peeved. Thanks again.