Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

5.0L Oil Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0L Oil Capacity

Looking at changing the oil for the first time in my 1995 f150 5.0L. I just got this a week ago.
The '98 Suburban I just got ride took 4.5 qts. o_0
I wanted to make sure that my 5.0 to a standard 5 qts.
Any recommendations on an oil filter? It will get light duty, no hauling or heavy loads.
Thoughts on anything else I should do for its first oil change? It has 200k miles and I am not totally confident of it's service history.
thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

6 quarts on the oil change. I use Wix or Motorcraft filters with no problems. Stay away from Fram. I would start with manufacture recommended weight oil and watch the oil pressure and consumption. For the first few oil changes you have it run conventional oil I prefer Valvoline, but that is your choice. I think other than the no name brands they are all pretty equal. If you can get BG MOA and put in with the oil. This is a great oil addative that over the course of several oil changes will clean the motor as well as help lubricate it.

Frank
The following users liked this post:
Carography (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NGM
6 quarts on the oil change. I use Wix or Motorcraft filters with no problems. Stay away from Fram. I would start with manufacture recommended weight oil and watch the oil pressure and consumption. For the first few oil changes you have it run conventional oil I prefer Valvoline, but that is your choice. I think other than the no name brands they are all pretty equal. If you can get BG MOA and put in with the oil. This is a great oil addative that over the course of several oil changes will clean the motor as well as help lubricate it.

Frank
Thanks Frank - Just picked up some Chevron Supreme 5w30 and a Bosch oil filter. I am also looking into some sort of additive to clean things out before I change the oil out. I have never heard of BG MOA, Ill consider it.
Any other recommendations out there. ATF in the crank case as a cleaning agent??
Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carography
Thanks Frank - Just picked up some Chevron Supreme 5w30 and a Bosch oil filter. I am also looking into some sort of additive to clean things out before I change the oil out. I have never heard of BG MOA, Ill consider it.
Any other recommendations out there. ATF in the crank case as a cleaning agent??
There are not detergents in ATF like people think there are. So putting ATF in is a waste of time and money. I would go with normal oil changes. http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php use that to find a BG dealer near you.
The following users liked this post:
Carography (03-19-2013)

Quick Reply: 5.0L Oil Capacity