Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

4x4 is not working.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4x4 is not working.

2004 Ford F-150 Lariat crew cab I just got his truck a week ago. Bought it off my family, and they said the 4x4 worked, I never put it in just cause I have no use for it yett. But long story short it set outside all night it was 20° That night I went out the next morning started it. Let it warm up for 3 to 5 min went to pull out and it sounded like a pop can in a bicycle tire in the front end. It seemed like something was striking another peice of metal numerous times. So I went a little further 500 feet At 2 miles per hour and finally said I can't drive this like this so I was thinking to myself. Why not for ****s and giggles put this in 4x4 in try that. So I did and everything was fine again. "BUT" now my front 4x4 does not work. Please help me!!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

So obviously something is not right, presumably broken, so you hit the 4x4 switch and break even more stuff?

Have you looked under the truck?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blckwlf
So obviously something is not right, presumably broken, so you hit the 4x4 switch and break even more stuff?

Have you looked under the truck?
Of course I've looked under the truck. Nothing shows to be out of order. I parked the truck 8 hours prior in the driveway. Came back out the next morning and it seems like the 4 wheel drive was half engaged. "Note" I never touched the 4x4 switch, but It seemed like it was rubbing against another peice of metal in the front differential. So I thought what the hell it can't hurt to put it in 4x4 and see if that makes it stop And it did make it stop. Now the 4x4 does not work
Old 01-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

04... replace the IWE solenoid on the passenger side firewall behind the battery...the new solenoid will have a rain hood built on to it to prevent water intrusion...water can get into the vacuum line and Freeze...this will prevent the wheel ends from un-locking or a partial un-lock...which is the noise you are hearing...when you select 4WD the wheel ends vent this vacuum and engage and your noise goes away.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
04... replace the IWE solenoid on the passenger side firewall behind the battery...the new solenoid will have a rain hood built on to it to prevent water intrusion...water can get into the vacuum line and Freeze...this will prevent the wheel ends from un-locking or a partial un-lock...which is the noise you are hearing...when you select 4WD the wheel ends vent this vacuum and engage and your noise goes away.
I'll try and pick one up today from the ford dealership. Thanks for you help! I'll defiantly let you know if this fixed it or not.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Welder101
I'll try and pick one up today from the ford dealership. Thanks for you help! I'll defiantly let you know if this fixed it or not.
Well it didn't fix it. Anymore ideas??😔😔
Old 01-12-2016, 06:12 AM
Mark

Originally Posted by Welder101
Well it didn't fix it. Anymore ideas??😔😔
Need to troubleshoot with a vacuum pump... you can barrow one from Advanced or Auto Zone.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:28 AM

I fixed it! I replaced both actuators and my IWE solenoid and its back to brand new again! That fixed all my problems!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Mark

Good to hear.. the vacuum pump test would of found a bad IWE...some people don't have the money to just replace parts during troubleshooting.

Quick Reply: 4x4 is not working.