Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

4x4 doesn't work... boooo!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 doesn't work... boooo!!!!!

Okay, I'm new to the forum, but not new to forumS.

I'm Aaron. I just bought a 2000 f150 4x4, 4.6l ex. cab. (103k miles!)

Anyways during the teat drive I noticed the MSOF lever wouldn't budge. I also happen to know that is a bit of a common problem (design flaw). They said they would have the transmission shop sort it out, and I actually passed to them the info on exactly what is wrong, and how to fix it.

Next day I pick the truck up and everything looks good.

TODAY I wake up to ice covered roads (in TX!) AND a 32 mile drive to work. Turns out... 4x4 does NOT work. Lol. Shifts into 4x4 smoothly. Light on the dash comes on... Neither front tires pull.

If I'm not mistaken isn't there some kind of vacuum actuated solenoid in the front differential that basically is the link between the front drive shaft and the front axles? Kind of like locking hubs... Only completely different? Again its the manual shift on the floor (MSOF) model
Old 01-24-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I obviously haven't crawled underneath it, and poked around yet, I'll add this. If I shift Tue tcase to 4 low, the lights on the cluster indicate it IS in 4xLo. When moving in 4xLo, it is definitely a much lower gear ratio, so that tells me its likely NOT a tcase issue (tentatively). Also, in 4xHi, the 4x4 light is also illuminated.

I guess my question is- WHAT tells the light on the guage cluster to indicate 4x? As in- where is that sensor located? Is it in the MSOF lever assembly? in the transfer case? coming from the GEM when its grounding the engage solenoid? Or is it like a dodge where the sensor is physically pushed by the vacuum diaphragm mounted on the differential?

Quick Reply: 4x4 doesn't work... boooo!!!!!