Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

4.6 3v click/tick/ping/rattle/knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6 3v click/tick/ping/rattle/knock

I have a 2010 4.6 3v with 144,000 miles on it. It runs great, burns no oil, gets good mpg, and is generally in good shape. However, it makes a ticking noise "sometimes."

It doesn't do it at idle or when accelerating or cruising. It does it when the engine is warmed up, and I am SLIGHTLY pressing the throttle. I can be coasting and just barely touch the throttle and it will do it. It also does it when I'm going through drive-throughs and I just barely press the gas to move up to the window. It seems to do it more when I use 93 octane, but this may just be in my head. I can give it a little more gas and it immediately goes away. It isn't loud, and I can only hear it when the window is down, or the radio is off.

I can't pinpoint the problem because it doesn't do it when idling. It doesnt seem to be getting worse. It's just annoying. Should I just ignore it, or could it be something that could be expensive down the road? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Engine noises are always a concern but this sounds like a noise that comes with age and nothing more. If I had to guess I'd say it was a noisy injector. Leave it until you get a code. I would stop running 93. You're wasting your money.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a 5.4 same issue i only hear it in drive throughs or where it echos and i lightly tap gas
Old 05-29-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by grss429
I have a 5.4 same issue i only hear it in drive throughs or where it echos and i lightly tap gas
Mine too. I also have a very slight cruise ping that comes and goes. You have to be listening for it, but its there. Book says its normal. I know they run the ignition advance as far as possible for economy. I'm not worrying about it. My truck runs great and always has.

Quick Reply: 4.6 3v click/tick/ping/rattle/knock