Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

3000 mile oil change on my 18 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:34 PM
French Canadian Redneck

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 3000 mile oil change on my 18 2.7

I changed my oil on Sunday, it was very warm plus I warmed it up good before I dumped it... Damn it seemed very thin...I like the top filter location and the tool less oil plug under but the darn matting material that covers the bottom of the motor and transmission is a pain to take off...I wonder what it actually does, Aerodynamics I guess...
Used Motorcraft Oil and Filter. I hated to leave next week on my trip to Canada with the oil from the factory... Don't know, just **** about it but I am glad I did now...I guess it won't hurt anything...The Oil life meter showed 79% but I think for $33 I will change it every 5000 or 6000...
Old 08-01-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a good little write up on oil changes below on here.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/when-...mation-372751/
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 07:45 AM
French Canadian Redneck

Thank you, I did a search but the search engine imho is not the best...will check it out.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 462 Likes on 251 Posts

I just did on oil change last weekend too.

I also thought the oil seemed really thin.

I had no issues removing the "diaper", I like that the screws stay in it when it comes off the truck, less chance of losing one.

The oil filter is a BREEZE... a Godsend compared to my old WRX.

After I did the oil change, I realized I had a slight engine tick that went away afterwards.

I WISH it was only $33.... I bought oil from a local dealer so I would have a receipt from Ford since I'm doing my own changes.... $90 for 6qts and 1 filter...
Old 08-02-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkLeRaRa
I WISH it was only $33.... I bought oil from a local dealer so I would have a receipt from Ford since I'm doing my own changes.... $90 for 6qts and 1 filter...
If you think about it, a receipt for buying oil and filter, regardless of who they are from, doesn't prove you actually changed your oil, or if you did change your oil it doesn't prove you used that oil and filter when you changed it.

Remember, an auto manufacturer has to PROVE that your maintenance caused a failure to deny warranty coverage.

I keep receipts for everything I buy for everything, never concerned that a manufacturer of any machine is going to try and prove I didn't do maintenance, but to each their own.

Had warranty work done on my Yamaha outboard. Yamaha rep said to dealer, "how do we know he did the 20 hour change"? My dealer said, "if he says he did it, he did it. He told me he did it, and that's good enough for me.". It was good enough for Yamaha also, they replaced the oil pan (due to stripped bolt using their instructions for a torque wrench (they acknowledge that it strips too easy, and dealer said never use the torque wrench again despite the instructions).
The following users liked this post:
UnkLeRaRa (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:35 PM
French Canadian Redneck

Advance auto for me....if I want proof I had it changed I will take it to the dealer, it’s not that much more expensive, I just like to do it myself....
i guess the diaper is a good ideA....
Old 09-21-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

At the first oil change after buying mine, I had the dealer do it. Next day drove from Houston to Dallas and back. Checked it a couple of days after being back from the trip, Dang people overfilled it by almost a quart. Been doing it myself every since.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkLeRaRa
I just did on oil change last weekend too.

I also thought the oil seemed really thin.

I had no issues removing the "diaper", I like that the screws stay in it when it comes off the truck, less chance of losing one.

The oil filter is a BREEZE... a Godsend compared to my old WRX.

After I did the oil change, I realized I had a slight engine tick that went away afterwards.

Did they hold the gun to your head when they took your money? $90 for 6qts and a filter is nothing short of highway robbery. Probably ended up with the semi-synthetic and not the full synthetic as well. YOU were flat out ripped off.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I am new with the whole truck being able to tell me when to change oil thing. I figured I would give it a go but man I’m use to being that person who changes it every so many miles and I’m past that lol.

I’m assuming everyone goes with motorcraft? I’m trying to find who sells it by me minus the damn dealer.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Wal-mart sells Motorcraft semi-syn.

Quick Reply: 3000 mile oil change on my 18 2.7