Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2019 STX 5.0 BBQ Tick

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 STX 5.0 BBQ Tick

Hello,

Recently (last Friday) bought my first Ford. A brand new 2019 Super Crew STX with the 5.0. While going through a drive through with my kids i noticed this faint ticking noise. Immediately through me into a panic and google the issue has only worsened my concern. I feel like I am Googling a medical condition and the more i read about it the more i am worried I am going to get an engine replaced or this truck is going to be nothing but trouble.

I've seen everything from Ford saying its a non-issue to people getting engines replaced. I went ahead and just made a service appointment with the dealer I bought the truck from. But am wondering if anyone here with a 2019 5.0 has experienced anything with the tick? Sounds like it's all too common with these trucks.

Do I have good reason to be concerned? Appreciate any feedback you guys have. Thanks for your time!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:54 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

The tick has existed since the Coyote's introduction. There have been many theories, but for the most part it is agreed the tick does not necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the engine. There have been documented failures in engines that did and did not tick, so who knows.
What I can say is the Coyote is a loud engine that makes numerous noises, and the gen 3 (2018+) only got louder with the addition of direct injectors and a high pressure fuel pump. DI systems are rather noisy on their own, and when coupled with an engine that was already noisy you get a recipe for ticks, rattles, thumps, and knocks.

I've always suspected the ticking is related to the rather unique cam torque driven variable valve timing, but that is just my theory. Either way the Coyote makes noise, probably more so then similar engines, and for those not used to it it can be alarming. You have a 60k mile power train warranty, so drive it hard and if it doesn't fail within that period you'll likely be good well past 100k.

Ford is replacing Coyotes due to oil consumption, which is not related to the ticking.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BadCon, thank you for taking a few moments and replying. This is great info and makes me feel better about what i am expericing.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:51 AM

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Just so you know, the modular Ford V8 (4.6,5.0,5.4) with VVT is known for that issue. I had a 2004 F-150 and it would tick. I retired the truck at 224K miles.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you been running higher octane fuel? Might be worth it for a few tanks to see if it quiets anything down. Easy thing to try without costing much.

Our 2010 4.6 3V is noticeably nosier on 87 octane, runs much smoother and quieter on 89 or above.

Quick Reply: 2019 STX 5.0 BBQ Tick