Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2018 F150 grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 11:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 2018 F150 grinding noise

Every 2-3 weeks, when I start up my truck and drive away it makes a horrible grinding noise on acceleration. I’ll take my foot off the gas and it stops, but then I step on the gas again and it grinds. Once I either hit a certain speed and it shifts out, or I get half way down the block and it shifts out, it stops and that’s it. Ford can’t duplicate the problem since it happens so rarely, but it is happening enough that it will cause damage if it isn’t fixed. No codes pop- please help.

I managed to catch the noise on a quick video. Please take a listen.
https://youtu.be/b6VPURUX7Yk
Attached Files

Last edited by ThreeFirsts; 09-16-2018 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
Dale Cauthen (04-09-2021)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:03 AM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Do you have 4wd? If so, see if it goes away when you switch to 4H. If it does, I’d guess your check valve for the IWEs is bad. It will work intermittently. Could be something else with the 4x4 front engagement but, that is where I’d start.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:12 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Yup, that's what it sounds like. Checkvalve doesn't cost much, and a good place to start.
Some info on the truck would be helpful. Is it cold out when this happens?
Year? Trim level? 2 or 4 wheeldrive. Help us, help you.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnday
Yup, that's what it sounds like. Checkvalve doesn't cost much, and a good place to start.
Some info on the truck would be helpful. Is it cold out when this happens?
Year? Trim level? 2 or 4 wheeldrive. Help us, help you.
2018 XLT screw. 4x4. I leave it in 2wd all the time. Happens right on startup when engine is stil cold. Haven’t taken notice to ambient temp but after some research on the checks valves it seems that colder weather would effect it more. Truck is not even a year old. Will dealer still fix it if they can’t duplicate it but I tell them what the issue is? Found this pic also...
Brian Powell (01-11-2020)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by ThreeFirsts

2018 XLT screw. 4x4. I leave it in 2wd all the time. Happens right on startup when engine is stil cold. Haven’t taken notice to ambient temp but after some research on the checks valves it seems that colder weather would effect it more. Truck is not even a year old. Will dealer still fix it if they can’t duplicate it but I tell them what the issue is? Found this pic also...
Hmm, I don't see the photo.
But ya, cooler temps seem to affect it, although, I'd think it could happen any time. The dealer, unless they can replicate the problem, likely won't do anything but note your trouble.
What you could do, is just go ahead and replace the valve yourself, 5 minute job, and cheap.
Ford finally recognized they had a problem a little while ago, and updated that checkvalve. I'd take it in and see what they say anyway, and if they deny service, walk on over to the parts counter, and tell them you want the updated valve, it comes with hoses as well.
Here is the updated one.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...ube-fl3z3a788a

What many of us did, including myself, replaced the OEM valve,with a YG360. Still a Ford part, but that was before the update. Have had no problem since.

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 09-17-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

But ya, cooler temps seem to affect it, although, I'd think it could happen any time. The dealer, unless they can replicate the problem, likely won't do anything but note your trouble.
What you could do, is just go ahead and replace the valve yourself, 5 minute job, and cheap.
Ford finally recognized they had a problem a little while ago, and updated that checkvalve. I'd take it in and see what they say anyway, and if they deny service, walk on over to the parts counter, and tell them you want the updated valve, it comes with hoses as well.
Here is the updated one.

What many of us did, including myself, replaced the OEM valve,with a YG360. Still a Ford part, but that was before the update. Have had no problem since.
John is right, dealers won't touch it unless they can reproduce it. As you found out as well. If you find one that will, hang on to them. Unfortunately, you aren't the only one with an 18 that had an issue this early on. We haven't figured out when the new valves started being put on the 18's at the factory. Not sure we really will.

A lot of folks here have replaced the valve, even before Ford came out with a new valve, and have not had any problems since.

Last edited by Blue2016XL; 09-17-2018 at 08:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blue2016XL:
barium (02-28-2021), johnday in BFE (09-17-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the updated one.

Is there any way one can tell if we have the updated part or not? I have a 2018. I had the dreaded noise back in June. The dealer replaced the IWE's and all the vacuum lines. I haven't had the noise come back, but I'm always nervous about it.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by Viper15
Is there any way one can tell if we have the updated part or not? I have a 2018. I had the dreaded noise back in June. The dealer replaced the IWE's and all the vacuum lines. I haven't had the noise come back, but I'm always nervous about it.
Yes, and I don't blame ya, it's always on my mind too. Take a look by the checkvalve, there should be a white tag with a part number on it. Just reference it to the link.
Viper15 (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Village Sociopath

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ive-axles-scat
Part #19 on exploded view.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:29 AM
Larson Boat and Ford Love

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 F150 front end grinding noise solved with this part

Ordered and installed and issue is no longer occuring for me.

Originally Posted by johnday in BFE
Here is the updated one.

johnday in BFE (01-11-2020)

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 grinding noise