Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2018 F-150 2.7L ecoboost oil change tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 F-150 2.7L ecoboost oil change tips

Just wanted to drop a note on how to do an oil change on a 2018 F-150 2.7 ecoboost. It was very easy. I've actually only changed oil and oil filters on my motorcycles previously, so this was actually the first time I've ever changed oil on a vehicle. This was my truck's first oil change at just under 5K miles. You'll need a 27mm socket to remove the oil filter. You'll also need an 8mm socket to remove the rear under guard. You don't need to remove the front metal under guard. I've posted several pictures below to display some of the items I used. I watched a few videos out there on how to do this oil change, so I was concerned oil was going to spray all over the place when I removed the plug (NOTE: I definitely recommend watching these you tube videos to get an idea on how to change the oil on a new F-150 V6 2.7L ecoboost). I decided to just make a half-turn of the plastic drain plug and it started to slowly drain. I actually walked away for a bit and when I came back the plastic drain plug fell out into my oil catch basin. I must say it wasn't messy at all, so I definitely recommend loosening the plastic oil drain plug to let it slowly drain out to avoid the oil gushing out and going everywhere. I had my truck front tires up on 2 patio stones (maybe 3 inches thick) to give myself a little extra room under the vehicle. I had plenty of space and no need to use a jack. I don't have a lift on my truck either, it's plain stock- same as when I drove it from the dealership lot. It took a good hour or so to get most of the old oil drained out. It would continue to drip for a while but I wasn't in a rush or anything, so I definitely recommend leaving your truck be for at least an hour to afford enough time to get all of the old oil drained out. Might as well do a thorough job since you're doing it yourself. I did replace the plastic drain plug because they are so cheap. They are under $3 or so and you can buy them directly from parts.ford.com. The part # for the plastic drain plug is KX6Z-6730-B (see pictures below- I even have one of the stock plug my truck came with compared to the replacement ones I bought to show you these are the correct replacements). I recommend buying several when you go to place your order because you're going to pay $8 or so in shipping, so you might as well make it worth your while to buy a bunch of these $3 plugs. My understanding is you should change the plastic drain plugs at each oil change and might as well since they are very inexpensive. You'll need 6 quarts of oil SAE 5W-30. I replaced just about this exact amount since I let all of the old oil drain out and changed the filter.

The oil and filter I bought from advanced auto parts. It was a sale for $26.99 for both oil and free filter. The free filter is a "Purolator L38154." It's only rated for 5K miles so keep that in mind if you want to make oil changes every 7.5k miles or so. You can use a better filter that is rated for 10K miles or more if you want more time between oil changes.

This is the oil drain plug that came with the vehicle straight off the dealership lot. See part number above to order replacements.

I just used some aluminum foil to help keep the oil from getting all over the nearby areas on the truck. This did the trick as I only partially turned the plastic drain plug and let it slowly drip out to avoid a big mess.

This is the only under guard you have to remove. It requires loosening four bolts with an 8mm socket. You can leave the metal under guard in place.

Stock plug on the left that came with the truck. Replacement plug was the same. See part number above and in next pic.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice write up! And welcome to the forum. I'm coming up on 5k on my 5.0 so I was interested in hearing about the oil change with the plastic plugs. I picked up 2 of them yesterday at the dealer(they had to order them!). Less than $6 for the 2. I had not heard about changing the plug at each change but seems it might be a good idea as apparently some folks have reported oil pan leaks on the composite pans. And others have reported the old plug seems loose in the pan when reinstalled.

My 5.0 does not have the plastic under pans like the ecoboosts. Like the idea of using the foil to prevent mess. I changed oil on my Honda F2 yesterday and alwayd use foil over the exhaust header to prevent oil filter mess, works great. My major question was getting the plug out, looks like it comes out completely by hand? I've seen videos where some have used a screwdriver on the "ears" to get past the locking retainers? That does not seem like a good idea.

Ford spec's 5w30 for the ecoboost motors and 5w20 for the 5.0's. I'm going with Penzoil Platinum and the Motorcraft filter. They say to let the oil drain a long time to allow it time to drain down from the upper areas to pan.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Twists off by hand

The plastic drain plug twists off very easily by hand. No tools required.
The following users liked this post:
MotoMike (08-21-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 F-150 2.7L ecoboost oil change tips