Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2017 F-150 grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 F-150 grinding noise

In late April, I picked up a 2017 F-150 that I ordered from the factory. it's a 2017 F-150 XLT with the 3.5L Ecoboost, Fx4, with the 10 speed transmission. About a week later, I noticed a grinding noise coming from the front of the truck after I backed it out of my driveway, and it persisted for a few days. I then took it back to the dealership, who had it for around two weeks. They said it was probably the vacuum lines for the four wheel drive, that they took it apart, cleaned, and put it back together.

After that, the truck went about a week of normal driving before it made the noise again over Memorial Day weekend on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I went out of town that Thursday morning and didn't come back until the next Monday, and the truck wasn't driven during that time. The truck didn't make the noise again until Friday morning, then Saturday, and this morning. It usually makes it out of a cold start (3+ hours).

I've recorded a few videos of the noise. The first one doesn't have as good of quality, but the next two have it.

You can hear it here at 00:13-00:19:

You can hear it here at 00:36:

And you can here it hear at 00:20 and again at 00:31

Because the people at the dealership were having such a hard time identifying the problem and any solution, I'm hoping that someone here can before I take it back to them.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2017, 02:57 PM

I am having the exact same issue on my 2017 F150 3.5Eco. I have it in at the dealership as we speak and will let you know what they say. I linked your videos to them in an email for diagnosis!

Update: dealer advised it was the Check Stop Valve not operating properly in the 4x4 system and is having the repair done. Hopefully be as good as new!

Last edited by brent chm; 08-21-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah that definitely sounds like one of the front hubs trying to engage the 4x4. When there is no vacuum present in the 4x4 actuation system the hubs are going to be locked. Vacuum is used to unlock them and keep them unlocked.

If there is a leak in the vacuum system or a failing check valve the hubs will unlock too slowly or slowly try to engage when you are still in 2wd. The hub splines partially trying to mesh is the sound you are hearing.

Very likely that you have a vacuum leak, a failing check valve or a leaking hub assembly. Your dealer should not be having much trouble identifying and repairing this... Pretty common.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

You can check yourself by putting it in 4x4 and see if the sounds stops.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any news on this ??
Old 08-27-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if it's just me but does anyone else notice the sound seems to happens when the steering wheel is being turned?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:17 PM

Did you ever get a diagnosis on this? My truck is having the same problem and has been in the shop twice in 2 weeks and they haven't figured out what the noise is.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 PM

I am getting the same noise on my 2017 F150, 3.5, FX4. It seems to make the grinding noise on left turns more than right. I am also getting a vibration in the steering wheel on the highway. I had the wheel balance checked and they were out of balance but it did not correct the vibration. I need to take it to the dealership but, would like to point them in the right direction. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My guess it has nothing to do with the steering wheel being turned and has more to do with having just come to a full stop or near stop,this near speed match allowed the hub to go into 4wd, if he was driving faster it couldn’t have went in. I agree with Drschlachter, put it in 4wd and see if it stops, it should .
Old 10-30-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

This sounds different to my ears, but I do have my windows down in my video which makes it sound much louder and quite different. I had no idea how loud it was until i rolled them down.

When it does it, it has always been a cold start, and not made the sound until about 1 mile of driving down my slow road and I pull out into the main street (I noticed it starts with wheels turning as well). However mine seems to do it even in straight driving after that, AND it only does it when hitting the gas pedal, I take foot off gas and it goes away every time. Makes it hard to get anywhere though.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cr...QCTse-omr4BAsw

Any opinions if mine could be the same thing or no? Dealership looked at it and thought it was just a rock between brakes and backplate the first time.

Mine did it again today before I took it into dealership. As soon as it made the noise I put it in 4H and as soon as it switched the noise stopped completely. I put it back in 2H and a few mins later it came back, did the same thing and again it went away. I am guessing everyone is right its the front hub mechanism partially engaged.

The only thing that seemed unique to my circumstance is the fact it only ever makes noise when pressing the gas. I never found anyone else that mentioned it. It's cut and dry, as soon as I let go of the gas pedal the noise stops, also now I know as soon as I engage 4WD it stops as well.

Last edited by dajohu; 10-30-2017 at 08:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
govdodge (11-06-2017)