Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2016 Ford F-150 LED headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Ford F-150 LED headlight adjustment

After a levelling kit installation I'm having trouble trying to adjust my headlights. I'm not sure if the LED and the halogen lights are different. I used a Philips screwdriver to turn this, it turns but it feels like I'm going to break something. I'm not sure if it's stuck or if I'm missing something, maybe it's locked in this position? I'm hoping someone can enlighten me before I resort to bringing it to the dealership for them to adjust it. TIA

Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have an update on this? I'm having the same issue and actually broke the driver side plastics that hold the high beam gear in place so it doesn't turn as you screw the low beam adjustment.

The high beam woudnt turn so I was trying to get it to turn with needle nose pliers. Bad idea..
Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Yes, I brought it in to the dealership and it turns out both headlights were defective and both headlights were replaced under warranty.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:00 PM

Try spraying the gear next to the adjustment screw with silicone lube and let it soak down. I was scared mine was going to twist off before I lubed it but now it turns freely..
Old 12-04-2017, 03:42 PM

i have a 2017 that i leveled. how many adjustment locations are there per light? i do see the one in the picture which is on the top. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe that I read this in the owners manual that the high beam has no adjustment so the little gear mechanism only adjusts the low beam up or down. There is no side to side adjustment. I'm not sure which direction to turn the adjuster. I think clockwise lowers the beam.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089
I believe that I read this in the owners manual that the high beam has no adjustment so the little gear mechanism only adjusts the low beam up or down. There is no side to side adjustment. I'm not sure which direction to turn the adjuster. I think clockwise lowers the beam.
thanks. that was it. got them adjusted. although they do feel flimsy...
Old 11-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tex150KR
Try spraying the gear next to the adjustment screw with silicone lube and let it soak down. I was scared mine was going to twist off before I lubed it but now it turns freely..
This worked for me! I sprayed the shaft going down from the stuck gear with penetrating oil. The oil ran down the shaft and must have lubricated the lower gears. After working it back and forth for a couple minutes the gear and shaft now spin freely. Thanks a lot for posting this fix.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for WD-40 silicone lubricant! This is an update for those who may be struggling as well for future guys who have this issue. I tried a few other lubricants and why this worked... I have no clue but the gears spin freely now as well! Sprayed a few times in between the two gears then just turned a #2 Philips back and forth until they finally loosened up and began to adjust. Figured I would share this since this seems to be a pretty common problem and I thought my headlights were never going to free up.
The following users liked this post:
steve54512 (02-17-2021)